Forums Latest Members

watches you like, but not enough to buy

1. travisrock Jun 1, 2015

Not sure if others feel this way about some watches, but are there any pieces out there that you like (maybe even love), but not enough to actually spend money on (bank account balance aside)? If so, what piece(s), and why?

For me- one of them is a GMT I/II. Vintage would be a lot more appealing, but newer ones seem semi-redundant to me alongside a sub. Maybe it's the fact that they're just aesthetically too similar. Older 6542 with a bakelite bezel would be a whole different story- but a 16570 GMT II next to a Sub of any kind, I'm going to take the sub. It's funny though- show me a polar explorer II, and I'm all over that like flies on ****, even though they're technically the same watch. Anyone else feel this way about anything?

2. lillatroll Jun 1, 2015

Seamster KO 2907 I really like these watches but because they don't fit into the kind of watches that I want to focus on right now I won't buy one. When I have collected the watches I really want to own then I might buy watches that I really like. Its a two tier system I suppose. Another reason is a limited watch fund, I want to buy the watches I love first and then but the watches I like. Thirdly i don't want to own a big collection because some of them will be sitting in a draw for a long time and I am not sure that is a good thing.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 1, 2015

Way too many to list (like, not love, that is). Seriously.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. lwong Jun 1, 2015

Vintage Breitlings. I love the way they look and I can see myself owning one, but somehow it always ends up being bumped down the list.

citizenrich, valjoux72 and dougiedude like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 1, 2015

Most of @LouS and @MMMD s chrono,s but not enough coin to buy them ::facepalm2::

Edited Jun 1, 2015
    citizenrich likes this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 1, 2015

There are too many choices much like in life. Just stay within your means and buy them or trade to your liking. A lot of "grail" pieces will eventually become common to you.

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. OmegaSean Jun 1, 2015

Should this be watches you like but can't afford to buy BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms :)
    OmegaSean

8. swils8610 Jun 1, 2015

JLC Reverso. Always wanted one but haven't been able to go through with it.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 1, 2015

IWC Platinum Limited Edition Big Pilot Watch.

Aside from being around $30,000 (way out of my affordable range)...it's too big (46mm) for my spindly arm/wrist...but it would still be cool to have.

$5 says Hooters girls would dig it...BUT then again they might not realize what it is.

Edited Jun 1, 2015
    citizenrich likes this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 1, 2015

Pretty much everything vintage Rolex. Weight the cost against what else you could get and it never comes up Rolex for me.

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 1, 2015

Funny you should say that Lou. My first "decent" watch was a Rolex, that I still have, but I can't seem to find any love for them.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 1, 2015

Mine too...and I've never even come close to getting another. It's not that I don't like 'em - I do. But the rush costs too much.

Sadly, as time goes on and models spike in value - $20K Nina Rindts and $30K Tri-Compaxes - other watches drift into that same situation.

citizenrich likes this.
  13. TexasKevin Jun 1, 2015

Tissot PRC 200 - model #: T0554171105700 , I have my price in mind, retail is more than I want to pay. There are just so many fakes at the price I'm willing to pay for it (about half retail). It's one I would love in my rotation though.

citizenrich and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 1, 2015

A nice vintage Breitling Navitimer. They're affordable too, I just haven't pulled the trigger for some reason.

TexasKevin and citizenrich like this.
  15. CdnWatchDoc Jun 1, 2015

I like those as well, but somehow the price just puts me off. I also really like the Fifty Fathoms, but their size always surprises me. Looks good in pics, but not on the wrist...

"Vintage Breitlings. I love the way they look and I can see myself owning one, but somehow it always ends up being bumped down the list."
    I have a couple of vintage Breitling pieces, and they are beautiful to my eye. It is the newer ones that just don't appeal in the same way.

citizenrich likes this.
  16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 1, 2015

lol i love you guys.

this place is some kind of alien hive mind.

i think there were only 8 or 9 replies and 5 of them were the exact watches I was thinking of…especially a JLC Reverso.

if I could add one watch to the list it's a modern 18k type XX. Matt Bain offered me a complete set for 7700 a few years ago but I had just bought a Rolex Day - Date and there's no way the wife would have swallowed that shit.

Oh, well.

Edited Jun 1, 2015
    swils8610, TexasKevin and Matty01 like this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 1, 2015

I have a WG FF which came to me in a trade a long time ago. it's one of my favorite watches. In fact, I like it so much that I never wear it and stays locked away in a far away place.

I think I'm going to postulate a watch lovers collary or paradox and trademark or put a copywrite on it. This way, I can be all famous and chit.

Edited Jun 1, 2015
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 1, 2015

I don't think it's just about money - someone here mentioned Breitling and I think that's a perfect example. In the relative world of watches, A Navitimer isn't that expensive but each time I find one that I like I wind up buying something else.

The problem with Breitiling is that it falls into this weird category of being slightly ironic. Sort of a "show off" watch which tends to reside on the wrists of a lot fella's who beat up on us watch nerds…

Breitling = Bro watch

Maybe like the corvette of wristwatches? Very ironic. Sorry if I offended anyone - i assure you it was my intention.

TexasKevin, Traveler and oddboy like this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2015

Anything Panerai, I like them a lot, especially the PAM422, I just don't like it $8k+ much.

20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 1, 2015

Rolex 1016 Explorer.
    The few times I have seen an 80s (late) model, I haven't pulled the trigger. As long as I don't have one, I love them. But my gut tells me I will grow tired of it, or think it's just too small at 36mm.
    Plus I have a long history of buying watches I thought I'd like, only to find I really didn't after all. I usually ended up selling them for less than I paid. Still wondering how I managed to grow disinterested in the El Primeros I had. Great freakin' watches...

citizenrich likes this.