Forums Latest Members

watches you (but nobody else) love ...

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 31, 2015

Hi there,

not sure its been done before ...

but what are your personal favourits that do not get a lota love in general

here's mine ... sold a couple of other good (and def. higher regarded by the gen. public) divers while still wearing this one quite often.

Other divers that I had in the meantime:
    - A co-axial 41mm SMP came and went
    - as well as a Hydroconquest
    - and a Seiko Samurai ;-)

[​IMG]

donno why my love ... on paper it has a lot going against it:
    proprietary strap,
    43mm (too big for me normally) - but wears smaller bezel is prob. 40mm and that is what is being perceived

but put on - it just feels right ... LOVE the minimalistic look of the dial and its surprisingly flat and light for its size - good balance of understatment and very little flashyness.

so what are your odd but loved watchess and why?

cheers, Al

Nobel Prize and JimInOz like this.
  2. ercruz.law Nov 1, 2015

My Graham Mercedes Trackmaster. Graham watches seem to get a lot of critisms. Outlandish styling is the least of those being said. But I love this watch. It gets more wrist time than my other Swiss.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 2, 2015

^^ this is a hot watch. The bezel makes the watch resemble a yachmaster but there's no denying it's 100% Ebel.

I think El Primero Ebel's from the 1980's are the best pure value watches for the entire vintage universe.

If you're patient, you can snag a mint 18k Ebel 1911 w/ the best El Primero ever made for 3g's USD. Outstanding value!!!! I almost had one around 18 months ago but the seller flaked out on me right at the end. If and when I get one, I'll put almost everything else away and make her my daily wearer.

I think the story is well known but long story boring: Ebel basically saved Zenith by buying up all the original El Primero's movements which were laying around collecting dust. But, those are the original batch, possibly the finest batch of automatic chrono's ever produced. At least this is my understanding of what happened...perhaps this is just a bit of folklore but it sure sounds cool!

For me, it's a perfect watch.

Edited Nov 2, 2015
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 2, 2015

As for my favorite watch which is universally hated? There are more than a few but I'll start with a 7750 Gallet branded military watch. I love this big, heavy masculine brute but sometimes I think I'm the only one.

BTW - if you know of one for sale, please point me in the right direction - I'm a buyer all day long...

Took this photo in the crapper (where many people with bad taste feel this watch belongs. Permanently).

image.jpeg
    Nobel Prize and JimInOz like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 2, 2015

I also (((heart))) gold and stainless watches like the two tone submariner. It's retarded (sorry - I'm not very PC) stainless subs are generally worth more in the secondary market than gold and stainless, especially since the gold and stainless looks sooooooo much better than plain stainless...lolzzz

This is a fairly recent trend and it's stupid.

My two tone 145.022 (looks waaaaay better than the boring plain steel version...it just does)...:):)

And the 861 two tone Compax is dreamy looking ( and, you know it...lulzzzzz).

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Nov 2, 2015
  6. base615 Nov 2, 2015

[​IMG]

;)

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 2, 2015

::love:::)

This bad boy cost over 5g's in 1984 dollars and I've the paper work to prove it... not one but two!! And, I'm constantly on the lookout for more ::love:: Sooooooo 1980's / more 80's than shoulder pads

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    base615 likes this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 2, 2015

Can't imagine that one bring disliked... that's your prototypical iwc/tutima/sinn/pd military 7750 macho chrono...

Doesn't get much better than that.
    Tell me more about gallet...

9. Superdoc Nov 2, 2015

The X2 is not a very popular one...
    But I love it.. image.jpeg image.jpeg

citizenrich likes this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 2, 2015

Really loved this one but my wife didn't :(
    [​IMG]

11. Canuck Nov 2, 2015

Past tense? That tells me either the watch, or the wife, or both are no longer around! Not to pry, or anything.

12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 2, 2015

I guess I got luck, at least I think so...Watch gone, Wife still here :)