Forums Latest Members

Watches with partially visible movements

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 20, 2013

So I was looking at this:
    http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/collections-pages/elprimero.html
    (scroll down a bit and put your mouse over the second (gold) watch)
    and got entranced by it.

I was wondering what other reasonably priced watches have this feature where you can see part of the movement from the front? I'm not talking about the Deville Platinum Skeletonised, etc, etc. I'm talking about a reasonably priced watch (this one's MRSP is $9.6k)

2. ulackfocus Oct 20, 2013

Some people dig those partially exposed movements, others not so much. 'Open Heart' (exposed balance wheel) are probably the most popular.

Personally, they aren't bad but I'd rather see Zenith make a 40 mm or less 2 register chrono with a big date like they used to.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 21, 2013

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 21, 2013

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 21, 2013

Yep, when they have 50mm dinner plates, then 44 is mid-size :confused:

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 21, 2013

I hate the Open Heart myself. You pay a premium but basically getting the same watch with just an open dial. Will rather save up and get a skeleton watch but of course those will cost more.
    Looking at where Zenith is heading, I don't think they will make anything in 40mm or less unless you are taking about ladies watches.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2013

Not a fan personally - but just to clarify there are some changes made to the movement on those Zeniths.

You can't normally see the balance wheel from the dial side, even with the dial removed, so they have skeletonized the movement to a degree - it's not just a different dial slapped on a standard movement.

Cheers, Al

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 21, 2013

ta

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 22, 2013

These don't personally appeal to me very much, at least not the Zenith implementations of it. Being able to see balance wheel is cool, but the dial sure ends up feeling cluttered and too asymmetrical for my taste.

Design-wise, I prefer the approach of something like the De Ville HV with more subtle viewing windows, while keeping the dial clean.

Putting those cheap Ripcurl movements on display is pretty funny :)