Forums Latest Members

Watches I would have pass 10 years ago now I am finding them slightly attractive to keep

1. Wongo Oct 26, 2014

Times past by guess taste changes.
    Cosmic 2000, didn't like it cos it normally comes in poor condition and I still find it hard to find a watchmaker willing to fix it. This one came to me in very tidy condition
    Geneve, it looks way to formal and plan. Now it looks kinda tidy for day to day use to work. The gray and white really catch my eye I guess.
    The stick baton and bracelet sealed the deal in my head.
    IMG_6074.JPG

Spacefruit and noelekal like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2014

This is more like 20 years ago, but I wouldn't look twice at a Breitling or Panerai. I still don't dig the 44+ mm hubcaps, but the 40 mm PAMs and under 42 mm Breitlings do catch my eye now. Doubt I'd ever replace my Chrono Cockpit though.

IMG_5886-1.jpg

3. George.A Oct 26, 2014

A few years ago I would't be caught dead with a watch under 40mm on my wrist, yet alone a vintage one. Now I can hardly wait to wear it again
    [​IMG]

noelekal, Fritz and rhetoric like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 26, 2014

Longines, Omega, and IWC are the favorite brands here but I still like vintage and like playing the field.

And now for something completely different ...

Smith's De Luxe with its English movement

[​IMG]

andyg and Mothra like this.
  5. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2014

Nice watches. I think they were sued for patent infringement over their automatic winding system, but I can't remember by whom.

6. Baco Noir Oct 26, 2014

I think all our tastes evolve over time. When big watches became popular, I hated them. Then a few years ago I bought a 45 mm Ti Helson Sharkdiver which was really nice albeit a bit thick, so it got sold. Ti makes big watches very manageable and I just bought a 48mm Breitling Avenger Blackbird and it wears really well. The head is only 99g and total weight is 115g.

[​IMG]

7. Wongo Oct 26, 2014

noelekal, your watch I would normally have no trouble sending them to the pot.
    I still don't like the big watch, maybe I will mellow down on it soon or later but for now, biggest watch I own is the Large size chronostop currently being service by watchmaker.
    Baco Noir, didn't know they made a big watch so light, I just don't look at new watch. :rolleyes:
    Then again, most new branded watch that comes out cost a ::money::, better keep buying old things that cost a fraction less.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 26, 2014

Oh Wongo;

Don't send my ol' Smiths to the pot. It's a good, well-mannered time keeper. I get a kick out of indulging it by wearing it on occasion and looking at that "Made in England" printed on the dial. One of my best friends lives in West Yorkshire and the watch came over from England.

Hi ulackfocus;

I seem to recall reading that Smiths' automatic design copied that of an IWC automatic movement.