Watches from Japan

Posts
38
Likes
17
Currently on the hunt for a more modern styled Seamaster and I am seeing quite a few watches from Japan on eBay. Other than smaller bracelet sizes in most of them, Is there anything out of the ordinary with these?
 
Posts
1,191
Likes
6,189
Some are over polished. Take a good look at the case. I have bought many watches from Japan and have had good luck.
 
Posts
35,633
Likes
39,880
The Japanese Yen being as low as it is right now has made Japan an excellent place to score great watches right now, its a huge market too
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,075
There doesn’t tend to be a great variety of references coming out of Japan, but if you like the ones that are popular there, like 166.010, you are in luck. I agree about checking the case and back carefully for polishing.
 
Posts
19
Likes
10
I've noticed that too and was wondering the same. Given the number of sellers that seem to be located in Japan. I'm looking for a 212.30.41.20.03.001 reference, which shouldn't be a tough find but I haven't seen one posted here in a while either, so considering some of the Japanese retailers.
 
Posts
2,077
Likes
4,244
You will also pay import tax over $800 USD which varies on value of the 3 major components (case, movement, and strap) but typically seems to run around 4-10%.
 
Posts
35,633
Likes
39,880
You will also pay import tax over $800 USD which varies on value of the 3 major components (case, movement, and strap) but typically seems to run around 4-10%.
That’s the most insane way of applying tax I’ve ever heard of, our 10% get here is higher but at least it isn’t a pain to figure out.
 
Posts
106
Likes
111
Some are over polished. Take a good look at the case. I have bought many watches from Japan and have had good luck.
Agreed with this. I do find used watches from Japan overpolished often. Maybe that's the obsession there, hence zaratsu 😉

They tend to have really good prices though, even on Chrono
 
Posts
7,773
Likes
14,363
That’s the most insane way of applying tax I’ve ever heard of, our 10% get here is higher but at least it isn’t a pain to figure out.
It's not a pain to figure out, the shipper puts down the values for the movement, strap/bracelet, case on a one page worksheet. Easy peezy. The movement attracts duty of almost nothing so that is where most of the value is declared, the case and bracelet have their own rates. The net duty is pretty small, about $100 or so on a stainless steel watch with bracelet in the US$7,000 range. $5600 mvmt, $700 case, $700 bracelet for a Speedmaster I bought from Japan earlier this year. Far preferable to getting hit with a set percentage on the total value of the watch.
 
Posts
324
Likes
644
Be aware of the insane amount of resellers here posting watches with a mark up on ebay. Feel free to DM if you want a hand finding the actual shop selling a particular watch.
 
Posts
19
Likes
10
Agreed with this. I do find used watches from Japan overpolished often. Maybe that's the obsession there, hence zaratsu 😉

They tend to have really good prices though, even on Chrono

How worried would you say I should be regarding overpolishing? I'm thinking of buying a seamaster from a Japanese reseller on eBay that has very solid feedback history. The watch looks very unused (which it probably is) but just wondering if that should be a point of concern? The watch isn't more than 10 years old so maybe this is a bigger concern for vintages?
 
Posts
16,899
Likes
48,104
How worried would you say I should be regarding overpolishing? I'm thinking of buying a seamaster from a Japanese reseller on eBay that has very solid feedback history. The watch looks very unused (which it probably is) but just wondering if that should be a point of concern? The watch isn't more than 10 years old so maybe this is a bigger concern for vintages?

More for vintage as vintage usually see a few owners and a dealer or two…the used watch market in Japan is huge…no massive.
 
Posts
38
Likes
17
Be aware of the insane amount of resellers here posting watches with a mark up on ebay. Feel free to DM if you want a hand finding the actual shop selling a particular watch.

I think I am going to avoid eBay and just use Sendico to buy directly from the auction sites in Japan. It does appear that most things are considerably cheaper this way. The only downside is shipping will take a little longer.
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,075
If you are seeing the same watch on Yahoo Japan, the eBay seller may not actually have the watch in hand. Many eBay sellers from Japan put a high BIN price on a watch, and if someone buys it, they buy the watch from the actual seller, then ship it. That's why you will often see the same watch listed by multiple eBay sellers. The proxy services charge much lower fees. Be aware, however, that if you use a proxy service, you cannot return an item under any circumstances. Even if it is counterfeit or you don't receive the item listed, you are totally out of luck. It is a real risk.
 
Posts
6,609
Likes
26,776
You will also pay import tax over $800 USD which varies on value of the 3 major components (case, movement, and strap) but typically seems to run around 4-10%.
That’s the most insane way of applying tax I’ve ever heard of, our 10% get here is higher but at least it isn’t a pain to figure out.
It's not a pain to figure out, the shipper puts down the values for the movement, strap/bracelet, case on a one page worksheet. Easy peezy. The movement attracts duty of almost nothing so that is where most of the value is declared, the case and bracelet have their own rates. The net duty is pretty small, about $100 or so on a stainless steel watch with bracelet in the US$7,000 range. $5600 mvmt, $700 case, $700 bracelet for a Speedmaster I bought from Japan earlier this year. Far preferable to getting hit with a set percentage on the total value of the watch.
And for reference, here is a section of the customs form, filled out by the seller, showing the breakdown of values on a watch I imported into the US.

 
Posts
1,320
Likes
10,698
Imo the best way to buy a watch from Japan is in person. Can’t beat it.
 
Posts
19
Likes
10
And for reference, here is a section of the customs form, filled out by the seller, showing the breakdown of values on a watch I imported into the US.

How much was the total tax for this receipt?
 
Posts
6,609
Likes
26,776
How much was the total tax for this receipt?
I paid $52 for DHL to import it and at the end of the tax year, I received an invoice from the state (Ca) for ~$400 Use Tax, which I was prepared for/expecting.
 
Posts
19
Likes
10
I paid $52 for DHL to import it and at the end of the tax year, I received an invoice from the state (Ca) for ~$400 Use Tax, which I was prepared for/expecting.
Got it thanks. So a bit over 10%. eBay right now runs a 10% discount program on watches so the tax mostly offsets that. Debating whether to buy one tonight and I'm a bit torn 🍿