Forums Latest Members

watches for sale with unknown service history?

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

Hey guys,

I was curious to know.. it seems that most everyone sends a newly acquired watch in for servicing when they acquire it, and yet, most sell watches with 'unknown service history' or 'service recommended'.

Do people generally run too long without service (even though they probably know better)?

Do people generally not service new pieces (else they would know something of the service history)?

Hoping to reconcile this dichotomy (even if it is only in my head).

Opinions and insights greatly appreciated!

2. Davidt Mar 26, 2015

I assumed watches sold with unknown service history were generally coming fresh to market after being sourced from a long term owner.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 26, 2015

If it hasn't got the paperwork, it hasn't been done. There is one notable exception to this rule and that is a highly reputable member of this forum who is a watchmaker for a major watch house and fulfills our needs on the side.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

So is it really just a cautionary clause? A protection of sorts from dissatisfaction?

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 26, 2015

Let's put it this way - would you buy a 321 and wear it every day for five years based on an eBay seller saying it had just been serviced, without proof?

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

No, I wouldnt.

I was mainly just curious if people run past their service 'due date' regularly.. I understand a watch that's been in the box and doesn't get wrist time and gets sold to fund a new one.. but it's like almost every listing that says unknown or service recommended..

Maybe my watch box isn't full enough yet.. ;)

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 26, 2015

Always tough for me.

I serviced my 2570/panda convert cause I'm absolutely going to keep it forever/pass it down.

I have a Gemini IV that has not been serviced and I'm thinking I may just store it for 5-10 years. But I wear it every other month so certainly I feel it is at risk despite not taking action to store it.

Once I get back from vacation I plan to drop my Ploprof 1200 to omega for service.

So I am all over the place on this, but generally speaking I try to keep to a service interval.

RawArcher likes this.
  8. Flingit1200s Mar 26, 2015

Gemini IV::love::

9. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Mar 26, 2015

Oddboy, I think you are hitting on a really great question and I would love to see it explored further by other members. Taddyangle's answer may have spoken for many because I'll bet "all over the place" is more normal than not. I too have been puzzled by what I've always considered very good advice "don't even wind your new watch before you get it serviced" when it is contrasted with many of the FS listings from experienced members who say "sevice history unknown". (My) logic would say most FS listings on this forum would say "Serviced X months ago but prior to that, Service History unknown". Appreciate the discussion.

oddboy likes this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

My guess is that some might just be 'catch and release'. Maybe an ebay pickup that wasn't as nice in the metal as aniticpated..

I imagine some might be bought for a part - a dial, hands, etc - for another watch, replaced with a lesser, though still original and correct one.

Or maybe some just have so many watches, they just can't remember the last time it was serviced.. :)

RawArcher likes this.
  11. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Mar 26, 2015

All great points. Different world than the one I live in (said jealously)!

12. redpcar Mar 26, 2015

Service history unknown. I have 5 more drawers like this stuffed with running watches. Neat stuff that I buy, fix to run, and sell / wear / trade. Regular rotation stuff in the "keeper" box gets proper service ;). Hoarder you say? I say at least they are small.

20150326_211655.jpg

rahilb, lando, Giff2577 and 9 others like this.
  13. ulackfocus Mar 26, 2015

I used to keep records on when each watch was serviced, and had a queue for unserviced watches that had to go to the watchmaker. Somewhere along the way, I stop being so anal about it. The watches I wear are serviced properly (which reminds me that my Breitling needs to get a cleaning & oiling) and the collection watches that sit in the box don't matter as much.

NT931 and Privateday7 like this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

Whoa. It's worse than I thought!

I'll take, Um, that one!

Giff2577 likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Mar 26, 2015

Similar to another thread, when you have a lot of watches in your collection, it's not realistic to service them all. Many collectors have hundreds of watches. I don't have that many, but just counting Connies offhand, I have about 30 of them and I don't want to throw a few of them away just to have all of them serviced. I only service the few that I like to wear regularly, and those likely won't get sold any time soon.

Edited Mar 26, 2015
    Giff2577, Privateday7 and pitpro like this.
  16. redpcar Mar 26, 2015

30 Connies? Holy crap. I demand a pic! I have .............ummmmmm..........one :(

17. TNTwatch Mar 26, 2015

Won't look much different from your pic if all get in and would be quite an undertaking, and that's why I've only been doing it a few at a time. :)

oddboy likes this.
  18. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Mar 26, 2015

Need emoji for head exploding. Perspective has been updated...........

oddboy likes this.
  19. TNTwatch Mar 26, 2015

Oh, forgot. You only need to get one each week and you won't be far behind for long. That's what has happened to me, and I haven't got all the Connies I want yet...:)

Edited Mar 26, 2015
  20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

Likewise.

RawArcher likes this.