Forums Latest Members

Watches and Wine in Los Angeles

1. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 21, 2015

Wondering if any forum members will be attending the Watches and Wine Event hosted by the Omega Boutique
    on Sept 24th in Westlake Village. Have no idea what it's about, but how can you pass up Omega watches and free wine.

2. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2015

Watches and Wine - two subjects I like a lot! Won't be attending though as a 2700+ mile commute is a little excessive.

NJtoLA.png

3. calalum Sep 21, 2015

My commute wouldn't be nearly as far but fighting the 405 and 101 traffic might make the trip overly daunting in any event.

CajunTiger and tpatta like this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 21, 2015

Only for the unmotivated. It's only a five hour flight and a 1:30 hour drive. Should be well worth the 15.00 bottles of wine they will be serving. :cool:

Edited Sep 21, 2015
  5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 21, 2015

That is my exact drive from the westside. Event starts at 7. Probably should leave around 3. :D

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 21, 2015

Hey, @tpatta ! Mrs. Jones and I are planning on being there. How will we recognize you?

I'll be easy to spot: I believe I have an obligation to all humanity to wear that meteorite thingey on my wrist and share/show it as often as I can :)

7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 21, 2015

@Jones in LA , guess I'll have to wear my FOIS. Would wear my meteorite, but the wife doesn't know I bought it. :D
    I'm hard to miss. Listen for the deep radio announcer voice. That's me. Or just ask Mako or Gustav to point me out. I too will be there with the wife. Looking forward to meeting you.

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 21, 2015

9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 21, 2015

Also, @tpatta -- I shall say nothing about your Speediorite :cool:

tpatta likes this.
  10. calalum Sep 21, 2015

Where on the westside? I am in Brentwood.

11. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2015

Brentwood?!?!?!? Did you get on TV during that OJ thing?

12. calalum Sep 21, 2015

Lots of connections there but that is all another story.

tpatta likes this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 21, 2015

My favourite post of the month

tpatta likes this.
  14. happytapy Sep 22, 2015

I think I might stay at home in Melbourne, Vitoria, Australia :). Free wine courtesy of a good friend of mine from Gippsland (eastern Victoria), and an occasion to wear my IkePod.
    [​IMG]

Or, a nightcap with a cognac or two and my old Yema Flygraf.
    [​IMG]

;)

Enjoy the Event.

15. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 22, 2015

Love it:thumbsup:
    Gives me a sense of comfort and solidarity. It is all in the timing and manner of delivery to try and make the circumstances remotely credible. :D

Just thinking about it we need a database of credible rationale for that special purchase;)

16. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 22, 2015

I work in Beverly Hills and live in Porter Ranch. Daughter and her husband live in Brentwood. Nice neighborhood you got there.:D

17. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 25, 2015

IMG_0409_mods.jpg
    Jones on the left, @tpatta on the right.

All-in-all a lovely evening. I was accompanied by Mrs. Jones and had the privilege of meeting and spending some time with Mr. and Mrs. @tpatta. For the record, I was sporting the Speediorite and @tpatta was wearing the stunning DSOM. In fact, nearly all the male attendees were wearing some variety of the Speedmaster. The organizers of the event paired different wines to a few of the latest Omega watch offerings (which were on display). I'm not entirely sure how such pairings were determined, but I seemed to be naturally drawn to the Red wine table which featured the Spectre-LE SMP 300.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the event was getting to know the local Botique staff on a more personal level. The botique manager, Gustav, is native Swiss and a relative newcomer to the watch business. It was interesting to hear his perspective on the nature and direction of the industry, from someone coming in from the outside. He definitely beamed with Swiss pride. Another of the sales staff is a lifelong SCUBA diver and we swapped a few diving stories.

Before we left the event, I told Gustav that he had just met two Omega watch aficionados with such unique backgrounds that he will probably never meet someone quite like them again: @tpatta had been a commercial diver in the distant past and had actually required the use of the Helium Relief Valve on his Seamaster, and I -- the wearer of a chunk of meteorite on my Speedmaster -- had discovered two Main Belt Asteroids while tracking (potentially) dangerous Near-Earth-Objects for NASA.

Fine California wine, fabulous Swiss watches, and lovely people ! Life is good :)

tpatta likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Sep 25, 2015

Yeah yeah yeah - I'll ask what everyone here is thinking: who is the one in the pink dress in the background?!?

19. abrod520 Sep 25, 2015

We could lobby the Manhattan OB to do something like this, though as I'm more of a vintage guy I doubt I'd be important enough for them to spend the time on :D

20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 25, 2015

I wondered how long it would take for the background of the photo to become much more interesting than the foreground. Apparently about 10 miliseconds.

Sorry @ConElPueblo , I got no data on the attendee in question. I was there with Mrs. Jones and thus was mindful of what would be an acceptable orbit of socialization, and what would not :cool:

tpatta, abrod520 and ConElPueblo like this.