Forums Latest Members

Watches alway something to mess with

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 29, 2018

I was wearing this 7002 this morning and the crown was binding in the case tube. I imagine the crown gasket was dry or swelled up. I figured take a look inside. The crown was really hard to turn. I removed the crown and stem and the stem is broken. No biggie I just ordered a new crown and stem, As they say S... happens.

After I removed the stem and crown out of curiosity I lubed up the gasket on the crown and all was well with the crown the crown the stem and crown are sold as a set. Now I have to wait for the part to arrive at the supply house. Part of the stem is in the pin vise.

002.jpg
    Edited Jan 30, 2018
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 29, 2018

You could change your thread title to "Watches, always something to cry about".

You know, you're winding a Speedy with an original crown and the stem breaks off at the crown. You buy a seeming bargain on fleaBay and send it off to the watchmaker. You get a call and the conversation starts "Well, when I finally got the caseback off there was..." and there goes your bargain.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 29, 2018

voere likes this.
  4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 29, 2018

Thanks, I read that and have every intention. I actually have 2 old crowns that need "massaging". The mentioned Speedmaster and a Zodiac that needs the heat treatment so the crown can be removed and the stem shortened the 0.3mm it needs to seat properly.

-8.jpg -5.jpg

voere likes this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 29, 2018

When I purchase vintage watches that I like. I always figure in the cost of a service into the purchase price. If my figures get too rich I pass on the watch By the time you get the watch serviced add that to the purchase price and you no longer have a deal. Some
    parts of vintage high end watches are worth crazy prices. And the parts can be very hard to find I have a few watches that have taken me several years to find the parts to repair the watches. When I get a watch like that I just put it aside until I find the parts to fix it up.

Edited Jan 29, 2018
    bristnj likes this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Jan 31, 2018

I agree with you about that, there have been several watches that I have passed on because of this.