Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Apr 10, 2017

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking as this recently assembled Mark II , and the only problems I see with it are the orange hands and the Seamaster case back, i have also not seen photo's of the movement but have asked if some are available. Is there anything else that I am missing that you guys can see in regards to red flags, or 'authenticity'?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omega-Sp...760946?hash=item33cbd057f2:g:N4oAAOSww3tY4yjcPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks,
    Edwin

Edited Apr 10, 2017
  2. mrod3950 Apr 10, 2017

I'd walk away. I've never seen a version with orange hour and minute hands.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  3. mrod3950 Apr 10, 2017

Btw the Seamaster logo on case back for mark 2, I've seen. If you have some time, get more replies. My collection is all over the place. Only one Omega. But those hands are worrisome.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2017

If you use the forum search for 'watchco', you will find lots of posts (apologies if you did already). It would appear that they did some good work (but that is for you to decide based on the comments of the other posters). It is most likely this was assembled 100% from service parts (and funky hands) thus 0% authentic. Regarding the hands : I saw a pic with similar looking hands on this forum (albeit pink -> a forum member did this for his wife). Getting pics of the movement is the only way to know about it. Other than hands and case back, I cant see much else. I am certain other forum legends have got a better trained eye than me :)

Edit : At the end of the day, if you are ok to buy a watch made from all service parts, then the hands should be a minor factor (should also be easy to 'fix' at the next service). Personally I think these look cool, albeit not original.

Edited Apr 10, 2017
    EdtheAussie likes this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2017

PS: regarding the movement, there are two scenarios. Its either a refurbished older movement (i.e. 321 or 861), or its a brand new full service movement. Only pics will tell...

EdtheAussie likes this.
  6. EdtheAussie Apr 10, 2017

Hey @eugeneandresson thanks for the reply good advice, I understand WatchCo and the use of service parts. I guess I was not that clear in what I was asking (it is much past my bedtime), which was to make this the 'most' original/correct I would need some new hands and caseback.

The seller was not forthcoming with pictures, as he does not have the ability to open the caseback.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  7. EdtheAussie Apr 10, 2017

Haha if it was a 321 I'd be in for a pleasant surprise!

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2017

No worries :) To my learning eye I would say just the hour/minute hands are wrong (should be white, not orange) and the caseback. Strap and case look pretty good. O wise and wonderful friends of the OF...what say yea?

Edited Apr 10, 2017
    EdtheAussie likes this.
  9. Jkuback Apr 10, 2017

I would assume that it's a question of how high you bid. For 2k+ you probably get an authentic one in fair condition

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2017

Yeah, reread the whole posting properly and saw 'refurbished'. So my apologies! +1 on Jkubacks advice. Alternately you could pick up a mint/unworn one for about 3k+, but seen quite a lot of vintage pieces round the 2k mark. Good luck!

EdtheAussie likes this.
  11. TomGW Apr 10, 2017

As far as I know that is the correct pattern for the currently available 145.014 service caseback. The hour & min hands should be white, but these orange hands are genuine Omega items.
    While Watchco produced plenty of SM300s and a lesser number of Speedmasters using new 'service' cases, I have only ever seen them offer a refurbished 145.014 case for sale, so I would assume that's what this is. IMO, you would be better off buying a worn, original example and having it fully serviced and the case refinished by STS. That way, if you prefer the totally 'as new' look, you will also have the original dial and hands etc returned.

Jkuback and EdtheAussie like this.