Forums Latest Members
  1. Edward53 Jul 31, 2017

I've had my Watchco (actually a private build but it's simpler to call it that) Seamaster 300 with 565 movement for about a year and it's been a joy to own during that time. Recently, however, setting the time has become a problem, especially going forward. Previously I would just unscrew the crown until the hands started moving, then I was able to set the time without difficulty. Now, it's become very difficult to engage the hands without unscrewing the crown right off, and even when engaged it's almost impossible to move them more than a few minutes before the crown unscrews beyond the point of engagement.

Before I send this off to a watchmaker, any thoughts re likely causes would be very welcome.

2. tyrantlizardrex Jul 31, 2017

Was the movement serviced before the build, or just pulled from a donor and dropped in?

The 166.0250 I bought out of fellows had the same issue... was just in dire need of a service.

3. lievain Jul 31, 2017

is the crown unscrewing from the stem?

4. Edward53 Jul 31, 2017

I was told it had been serviced. I had some pretty extensive conversations with the seller (British and in the UK) and he seemed genuine enough to me. One man's service can be another man's light clean so I suppose that's a possibility.

Yes, it is.

5. lievain Jul 31, 2017

your watchmaker will apply some locktite to the stem to keep the crown in place!

Edited Jul 31, 2017
  6. Edward53 Jul 31, 2017

?? I don't know anything about watchmaking but that doesn't sound like a professional repair!

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 31, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 10.45.27 PM.png

propervinyl and ChrisN like this.
  8. ChrisN Jul 31, 2017

It depends on who you talk to. The BHI teach that you always apply loctite to the stem to crown interface. Not all watchmakers do this as it's considered that tightening the stem to crown will hold it in place. If the crown is unscrewing from the stem then it was never tightened enough and/or there was no loctite.

Alternately, if it is not coming off the stem but it is rotating about it's central portion then the crown has failed and this has been known to happen with these.

Let's not get into a discussion of loctite types though....:D

Cheers, Chris

lievain likes this.
  9. lievain Jul 31, 2017

Exactly what they learned me in school. Followed classes for 3 years and they always told me to use locktite to secure crowns. Same thing applies for screws in bracelets.

10. Edward53 Aug 1, 2017

Thanks chaps for your thoughts and suggestions. Looks like it will be on its way to the watchmaker in the not-too-distant.