Forums Latest Members

Watchco....can someone explain what Omega Watchco is?

1. swils8610 Oct 29, 2014

I see Omega Watchco references regularly. What's is an Omega Watchco? Is the value the same?

2. alam Oct 29, 2014

Cliff notes: Watchco, an Australian company that assembles watches using a combination of vintage and new old stock (NOS) parts/components.

Here's some of their inventory http://watchco.com.au/omegawatches.htm

3. Dogmann Oct 29, 2014

Hi swilsm8610,

Watchco are a company based in Australia that were major distributors for Omega parts and they also had service cases for many of the vintage collectable models and what they did was using Original Omega parts being service dials, hands and bezels and donor movements usually from completely different models they then put all of this together to offer a new vintage looking watch many also came with Omega shark mesh bracelets. Everything on the watch is an original Omega part but their watches were never sold by Omega as it didn't leave the Omega factory like that it is a made up watch from spares. Some people actually prefer these as you get a brand new Luminova service Dial and hands that glow brightly in a service case but others consider them to be franken watches as they are not true vintage Omega's at all. Also as Omega has now implemented a change in policy re spare parts they are no longer getting any new parts and are currently selling off all they have left.

All that really matters in the end is if the person that buys it knows what it is and is happy with it. As for value they are not and never will be as valuable as an all original vintage watch in the opinion of many for obvious reasons. Hope that helps and I'm sure someone will post with more information if I've missed anything out or got anything wrong but all of the above is my understanding of what a Watchco is and its value.

Marc