Forums Latest Members

Watchbuys Chicago roadshow

1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2014

I attended a session yesterday afternoon downtown (I shouldn't name the hotel, which they wanted to keep on the DL, as there are more sessions today). Rob and Tim couldn't have been nicer. I know, pics or it didn't happen...well for some reason I left my camera home (and don't own an iPhone). I really wanted to see the new Nomos Ahoi Atlantik, and promptly fell in love with it, but also especially liked the black dial Club Datum 41.5mm. These photos are from the watchbuys website, as you can see. The Atlantik is perfectly balanced on the wrist, despite being rather large (40mm); must be those lugs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find it quaint that the Nomos date feature is a semi-quickset like the cal. 561 Constellation (inter alia). On the Atlantik, especially, the date really balances the dial.

I love much of the Nomos line, in particular the Tangente and Tetra models. For the Tangente, it was useful to see the different offered sizes next to one another. The Tetra (a 29.5mm square watch) wears surprisingly large. I think I prefer the plain ol' silver version (which they didn't bring; supposedly out of stock; but which I saw beforehand at Swiss Fine Timing on Michigan Ave).

[​IMG]

I also love a few of the Sinn watches (they are the US distributor, and had nearly the full line on display).

The 103 St Acrylic was striking. They really do the domed acrylic crystal well. It's basically the 356 with elapsed time bezel, of course. I much prefer the acrylic crystal on these.

[​IMG]

The 956 Klassik would be perfect without the stupid date window...It's not as large on the wrist as I'd feared.

[​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2014

My wife and I both have Sinn watches, and as of last fall we both have Nomos.

I have a 356 Flieger II (for now), and hers is a 456 with blue MOP dial:

[​IMG]

She loves her Tetra, and I was wearing my Tangente yesterday.

[​IMG]

Both brands offer good value for sure. And even better for me and those who desire to avoid factory service, they both sell parts to independent watchmakers.

Cheers, Al

Hijak and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Hijak Aug 3, 2014

Copper dial!::love::