Forums Latest Members

Watchbrands entering the Vintage Market

1. KingCrouchy Jan 4, 2019

What is your Opinion on watchbrands jumping in the pre-owned and vintage Market? What will be the effects on our hobby, and which Business opportunities you see for the Brands?

I saw as an exemple in the Oris Boutique in Zürich that the had a little corner where they sold serviced vintage Oris Watches, I also saw Mercedes doing that in their Museum and other Car Companies too. What do you think about this trend?
    Thank you for your Input!:thumbsup:

2. Dan S Jan 4, 2019

Njnjcfp88 and KingCrouchy like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2019

That there is nothing new under the sun.

Luxury goods companies have known forever that there is a healthy secondary market for their products. I think the watch companies in particular understand that the percentage of the population with the discretionary income to afford $5K and up new watches is shrinking and fast.

This is just another way of obtaining a customer for future products by offering a more affordable entry to the brand.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama and KingCrouchy like this.
  4. KingCrouchy Jan 4, 2019

But isn't it quite knew in the watch world? Also isn't there a risk to compete with current offerings by allowing people into a brand for cheaper than buying new? I get that they could be used as an gateway drug, and also a way to pour overstock into the market as pre-owned (like Richemont). But it doesn't solve the problem that a lot of Watch companies are sitting on pile of stocks, it would saturate the market even more. I think the advantages could be that for inexperienced buyers, to have the certainty that their Vintage piece is genuine and well serviced. But to me the hole move seems to have negative effects on current issues of the industry. Or I'm seeing it from the wrong perspective? Thank you

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2019

I think the idea is to eventually support the resale value by allowing customers to eventually trade-in late model watches towards new ones as well. That system works pretty well for Apple products. You can take them to an Apple store and trade-up at set prices any time you want.

Look at the advertising for any luxury car manufacturer. They all have Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) programs.

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/

https://www.mbusa.com/en/cpo/

https://www.lexus.com/lcertified/certification-warranty

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedused/porscheapproved/

They wouldn't do it if they weren't making money on the deals.
    gatorcpa

KingCrouchy and Dan S like this.
  6. Dan S Jan 4, 2019

Many of the watches in the Somlo Vintage Omega Boutique are more expensive than the equivalent modern watch, so it is not cheaper, or a gateway. Newer pre-owned models would be cheaper than new, and perhaps a given franchise might sell both.

But in either case, the pre-owned and vintage watches are already being sold by somebody, and the brand isn't making a penny from it. This way, the brand can license a franchise to sell "officially certified" pre-owned/vintage watches and have a regular revenue stream, with little risk.

Muddlerminnow and KingCrouchy like this.
  7. KingCrouchy Jan 6, 2019

Thank you very much for the insights. In that case it's just companies taking in parts of the market they didn't served before and crowding out current players. If this practice of selling vintage from the bigger brands increase, will we see finally see the big brands improving their restoration process to make it more collector friendly? Or will they just continue replacing parts like they please?
    And isn't there also the risk of those companies emptying the market with their buying power, making vintage pieces more expensive (for collectors)?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2019

IMO, they will continue just as they have in the past. For the watch companies, there is no decision to be made. They cannot provide any sort of consistent warranty on their work if they don't replace the parts that actually need to be replaced. In many cases, this is going to require replacements of parts like hands (especially when those hands contain radium -- some countries' laws require this), crowns, chronograph pushers and dials.

Remember that only a small portion of the people going to the factories to get their watches restored are OCD watch collectors looking to maintain originality at all costs like us.
    gatorcpa

KingCrouchy likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 6, 2019

CPO on cars while worth it IMHO, is just a way to make more money on lease returns.

10. Steve88M3 Jan 6, 2019

I have no concerns.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2019

Of course it is, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

However, it is also true that there are many people who want the luxury car experience complete with high-end service, but simply can't afford a new example. This is a win, win scenario for those people.
    gatorcpa

KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.
  12. sjg22 Jan 6, 2019

Mercedes has a pretty incredible in-house vintage restoration practice that’s centred in Irvine, CA and Stuttgart.

I could see a major watch brand do something similar soon.

KingCrouchy and Steve88M3 like this.
  13. Canuck Jan 6, 2019

Since most of the big name watch brands are now refusing to sell parts to many watch material suppliers (and thereby most watch repair people), they pretty much have control over what happens with older watches that are prospects for restoration. Knowing the appetites of many on the OMB for “factory” restored watches (ruined for originality), I doubt collectors who take a dim view of factory “restorations” will be candidates for these watches. Then there is Rolex who is sitting on millions of dollars worth of antique and vintage watch material, won’t sell vintage parts, and isn’t interested in catering to such collectors. Sigh!

KingCrouchy and Lucasssssss like this.
  14. philh Jan 7, 2019

It is an important part of the dealership model as it is where the bigger gross margins sit as very few new car buyers pay list price if they have any acumen

KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.