Forums Latest Members
  1. Mlee0916 Jan 16, 2019

Looking to purchase a 3 watch winder.

Just want to make sure it won’t overwind the watches.

Any recommendations on which watch winder and tips for the configuration?

Thanks in advance!

qboa likes this.
  2. superfly Jan 16, 2019

I feel that watch winders wear out watches needlessly. It's so easy to set and wind a watch that has stopped. Even one with a date and moonphase complication, takes just a minute or two.

So, sorry for not answering your question (I'm unable to answer because I have no experience with winders) but I thought I'd give you my two cents.

TedG954 likes this.
  3. Alex_TA Jan 16, 2019

Wolf.

qboa likes this.
  4. ac921ol Jan 16, 2019

Wolf 3 watch winder. Perfect for my watches.

D9FD880A-8E70-4700-B82C-21CCC0900C18.jpeg
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 16, 2019

You can’t overwind.

That being said you should use the correct settings to minimize wear.

Honestly many people here have purchased winders, then found they don’t use them.

JanV and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  6. zimonyig Jan 17, 2019

wolf definitaley..I had a wolf viceroy and satisfied with it.. But yes... had it. sold it. don't regret.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2019

I have a closet full. Will be selling them. Plus putting watches in winders on display is just setting out a five finger discount buffet for service personnel and burglars.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Co-axial Jan 17, 2019

Get Orbita Rotawind. It causes less torque on the movement and is alnost like the natural movement of the arm and wrist. Also switch winder off at night. Let watch wind down a bit, to minimise wear. Not good for it to be at optimum wind all the time. Watch winders are not ideal but can be convenient

20190117_112238.jpg 20190117_112211.jpg
    Larry S likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2019

If you must ...I would also choose Orbita.

Co-axial likes this.
  10. Co-axial Jan 17, 2019

I think Mr Archer like Orbita.

11. Mlee0916 Jan 17, 2019

It looks like Wolf ones let you change the TPD. The Orbita website has pretty good info on recommended TPDs by movement type. Would turning off the winder still be required if you limit the turns?

12. Mlee0916 Jan 17, 2019

What did you not like about them, if you don’t mind me asking.

13. ac921ol Jan 17, 2019

I don’t let just anyone walk into my bedroom, so not worried about theft.

Also I have 3 watches that need to be wound and one speedmaster.

So for me always setting the date sucked.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2019

I have learned that winding and setting a watch is a calming and meditative process no matter how complex. Winders too require maintenance. Plus after we had a kleptomaniac drug addicted housekeeper who robbed us blind, pre watch hobby, I don’t leave any valuables out in the open. My insurance company told me that watches and jewelery belong in the bank and/or in a secure fire and burgular resistant safe. Thus I have some nice winders I will be selling as soon as I have time.

Edited Jan 17, 2019
  15. Thegreatroberto Jan 18, 2019

I bought a couple of cheap winders. But stopped using them as 1) it's not hard to set most watches.2) it wears a watch unnecessarily 3) most winders require a power supply and are not really comparable with a safe.
    Not putting the watches that are not on my wrist in a safe is not an option.

Larry S likes this.
  16. Evitzee Jan 18, 2019

I've had various winders over the years but Orbita are the most consistent in quality. Avoid any brand that are made in China, they are usually junk.

I like the ones that can be set for TPD and winding direction over the Rotawind type, but I have both. I try not to overuse them, but they do make for a nice display prop.

Larry S likes this.
  17. Alex_TA Jan 19, 2019

Not only TPD but delay time and one or two directions winding. It does not wind all 1200 at once but in periods.
    I set mine to 24hrs delay and 600 TPD two directions- good for Aqua Terra.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2019

If it’s going to be in your bedroom be careful as some of the cheaper ones are not as quiet as you would think.

19. asrnj77 Jan 19, 2019

I have a wolf and it is nice and quiet but I do find that I don’t use it as often as I thought I would. I also found that putting metal bands in it is a like a game of operation where you try to avoid touching the sides. I scratched a polished center link on my Rolex when I first put it in.

On the side I have a Seiko Marine Master and once the crown tube gets stripped (apparently this is a known issue) the whole case needs to be replaced so every time I unscrew and screw the crown I’m worried I may causing damage. This is a watch that Id be happy to have on a winder

20. redzer007 Jan 19, 2019

Before installing my safe I drilled a hole and fed in supply for winder. Several of the single winders allow daisy chaining so at present I have 3 winders running from the single source. I was using them regularly, was handy to pick up and go. However when on vacation last summer I switched them off and since then have not put them back on. I may do again soon but for now I just set the time and go, and I live with the complications set incorrectly. That bothers me, but not enough yet to go back on to winders

Foo2rama likes this.