Forums Latest Members
  1. Rickyp Feb 18, 2018

hi
    Can anyone recommend a good automatic watch winder. I would like one for 2 watches and of high quality. I am in the UK

Thanks

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 18, 2018

Copy and paste this into Google: watch winder reviews

Good luck :thumbsup:

3. Wyatt66 Feb 18, 2018

I have one like this, but I can’t remember the name of my seller, so I can’t recommend this listing per se. The Mabuchi motors seems to be very good and quiet - mine is several years old and still works well and looks pristine. One word of warning - if you already have 2 automatic watches, go for at least a four-watch model. You’ll outgrow a twoser pretty quickly. Be aware when they say “leather”, it isn’t- it’s PU leather.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3-Luxu...m=142332620791&_trksid=p2045573.c100706.m4781Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-B...904912?hash=item1ed682a490:g:dwkAAOSwFWVZpo01Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

4. SuperHero Feb 18, 2018

Wolf seems to be a good brand and you can get different ones depending on how man6 watches you have. I might recommend getting one extra watch slot....just in case ;)

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2018

Wolf ... Orbita...Eilux.. don’t plan on keeping these in your bedroom and don’t cheap out. The more programmable the better.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 18, 2018

Since you’ve posted this in the vintage forum - consensus suggests that it’s not a good thing to keep your vintage watches in a winder.

7. Rickyp Feb 19, 2018

Could I ask why not. Logic would suggest to me that it is better not to let the watch keep stopping and starting all the time. Please educate me. Thanks

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 19, 2018

Nope running is more wear and tear.

Honestly I stopped using my winders. Once you get a few in rotation it’s not a big deal to set the watch in the morning.

9. larryganz The cable guy Feb 19, 2018

Yeah, I would not keep a vintage watch on the winder - eventually worn parts wont be replaceable if they can't be found.

I now have 8 empty spots on my multiple winders. And of the 9 watches still sitting in winders, only 4 of them are actually turned on. Some that I wear fairly often in my rotation are stored in a winder for quick access but I stopped running them constantly. My best winders (2 dual Wolf, 3 single Wolf, 1 dual Eilux) can do 9 watches, and then I have 4 cheap dual winders.

My current usual rotation watches are my blue Ti Planet Ocean 9300, Grey Side of the Moon, Planet Ocean 2500 orange bezel, SMPc, SMPc chronograph, Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch, Speedmaster X-33, and Tudor Black Bay Red. That's 6 autos, 1 manual wind, and 1 quartz.

Then I'm storing the rest of the watches that I don't wear as often in the safe, especially if close to a service. While I could wind as many as 17 watches, in order to reduce wear and tear on my watches I actually only keep 4-5 watches running now.

Once a watch is more than 2-3 years out from it's last service it comes off the winders, and I only set it and wind it when I want to actually wear it. Once a watch is 5-6 years past the last service it goes in the safe until I can send it in for service.

Rickyp and Pip like this.
  10. Rickyp Feb 19, 2018

Which leads neatly into my next question.........How often should you get a watch serviced ? When I bought my new submariner last year I was told it would need its first service in 8 to 10 years. Does this sound about right ? Do vintage watches need more regular servicing than new watches ?

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 19, 2018

Like they said about vintage watches and winders.
    Why put a 50 year old movt through more stress than you need to?
    (Mind you - it would be the same if you wore the same vintage watch every day which is why a lot of folks wear their watches in rotation. )
    Starting and stopping may have some effect (?) but doesn’t wear the movt the way constant use does.
    Re servicing - it depends on how much you use the watch but oils dry out even without use.
    5 years is the usual recommendation.

Rickyp likes this.
  12. larryganz The cable guy Feb 19, 2018

As implied in my last post, I won’t wear a watch once it’s past 5-6 years until I service it again. The usual recommendation is 5 years.