Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 1, 2014

My three year old, 4 head winder has been getting more and more noisy on three of the heads and a couple of weeks ago, one of the heads stopped altogether. You could still hear the motor running so I decided to see what I could do about it. I took the errant drive out and tried to use Google to see if anybody had fixed one, or if that failed, where I could source replacement drives.

All I managed to find was that it seems that a lot of winders use the same drives as mine that are made by a company called QINGYA YOULI. Nobody was mentioning a repair, just moaning about them and I couldn't find replacement ones.

So, with nothing to lose, I thought I'd see what I could do about it.

Here is my solution, together with the first failure.

To get the drive out, you need to remove the head. There were no obvious fixings so the retaining fixing must be covered by the lining of the head. Carefully pulling out the lining at the bottom of the head, there it was, a single screw.

Behind this was a plate, secured by two small screws:
    Face Plate.jpg
    This plate is held onto the drive by two longer screws at the back
    Back.jpg
    Obviously, these need to be removed, along with the four screws in the corners, to enable the drive case to be opened.

Inside the drive:
    Inside 1.jpg
    Inside 2.jpg
    These photos were after I had cleaned it all - I did mention my initial failure. The inside of the drive was smothered in rubber dust so something was wrong with the drive band. Clearly this has been built down to a price and a standard, flat band has been used, despite the pulleys being tapered. These should be a round profile, so I measured the inside of the band and ordered four new 27mm i.d x 1.5mm o rings. This was the failure. I hadn't realised how much they had been ground away and when I fitted the first one, the drive still didn't work.

Let's try again. I had to go more extreme so I ordered these purely because they didn't list 26mm x 1.5mm:

http://www.bearingstation.co.uk/products/o_rings/Nitrile_O_Ring_Metric/25mm_-_49.99mm/OR25X1.5

First the old band then the new o ring:
    Old Belt.jpg
    New Belt.jpg

Us a good quality silicon grease - I had some Bergeon 4509 to hand, which might be overkill - to grease the pinions and the bottom of the loose pulley and some thinner grease on the metal parts, reassemble and that's it, quiet and functioning again. Do not grease the o ring because it is being used as a drive belt not a seal.

larryganz likes this.
  2. ac921ol Mar 25, 2018

Just want to say thanks. I opened them up cleaned them out, ordered some new rings. But for right now, I have them working again.

Going on almost 3 years with it.

Pictures helped me reassemble the gears

*yes bringing back from dead.
    *mine was one of those eBay winders