Forums Latest Members

Watch UPDATE Any Omega trained watchmakers in uk/help with Albatros?

1. bonerp May 22, 2018

Hi Folks, my local AD sent my Omega Montreal Albatros off to Omega for a repair as the push button which forwards the minute hand wasn't disengaging.
    Omega UK don't have the part required so I have been quoted a ludicrous sum for the repair in Switzerland.
    So do we have any good trained watchmakers in the UK who can undertake the work for me and source the parts (this may be the issue - availability).

2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 22, 2018

Swiss Time Services maybe. Still won’t be cheap though.

Omegafanman, Etp095 and bonerp like this.
  3. Delbok May 22, 2018

But well trained !

Simon Freese is a good reference too

Baz9614, Etp095 and bonerp like this.
  4. bonerp May 22, 2018

even they are saying its a switzerland service!

5. ChrisN May 22, 2018

If STS can't get the part, then it will be difficult to source. Did they tell you the part number?

You say the " push button which forwards the minute hand wasn't disengaging". I thought you moved the minutes on these by pressing in the centre of the crown? Is it that button in the middle of the crown that has an issue, as the crown just may be available. Is the case number 196.0052 in stainless steel?

Cheers, Chris

6. bonerp May 22, 2018

Hi Chris,
    Yes the minute hand does progress when you press the crown but when you release it, it should stop but it isn't disengaging. If I gently pull on the crown, it will stop momentarily. When I stripped it back a little the teeth looked worn on the sliding pinion that sits on the crown pin. However I can't see what makes it disengage.

7. tyrantlizardrex May 22, 2018

If STS don't have the part, and Omega won't sell it to them, I'd say you're kinda out of options.... unless you can find another Omega watchmaker with a stash of discontinued parts (normally that would be STS).

Sounds less than ideal :(

Davidt likes this.
  8. ChrisN May 22, 2018

Could be it's part of the stem which is spring loaded but I would imagine the spring is within the crown. I can't immediately say (obviously) but most of the movement parts are available. As I say, I'm assuming your case is 196.0052 in stainless and it will then hold a cal 1611. For STS, and any other watchmaker with a Swatch account, I would imagine it's frowned upon to buy parts on the open market, even when Swatch can't/won't supply them and it may be that this calibre has to go back to base anyway. However, there are a lot of parts out there and ways to get them without troubling someone with a Swatch account...

There are some companies out there that have older stock but, they are spread far and wide and you need to build a bit of a reputation with some of them so, it's possible but, not easy. I would say that they sometimes have parts that Swatch won't supply, simply as they probably don't have stock any longer.

By the way, if the electronic module/motor are shot, it's a different matter!

Cheers, Chris

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. ChrisN May 22, 2018

Sorry, and the sliding pinion (clutch wheel) is easily available but, it won't be that in my opinion. Bear in mind I've never seen this calibre on the bench but can't see how that would stop the pin retracting.

Chris

10. tyrantlizardrex May 22, 2018

Too true!

Was talking to Tony about these last time I was there... he wasn't even sure Bienne could/would still undertake a repair if those parts were needed.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2018

If that is the case number, the crown is readily available from Omega.
    069ST43270

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for buying parts outside of Swatch, if you already have an account. I do this often when the parts I'm after are no longer available from Omega.

I think STS refusing this is more about the fact that there aren't many movement parts available, and also Omega considers this a "Bienne only" movement, so technically STS should not be working on it. If they do they would do it using the other company name to skirt the rules as they do with the 321's for example.

Cheers, Al

12. bonerp May 22, 2018

So need to bite the bullet and send it in? I suppose at least it'll be serviced! The LCD is ok and the motor.

Etp095 likes this.
  13. rcs914 May 22, 2018

Guess that depends on what you mean by "ludicrous cost" for the service. I would wonder if you could source one of these with a dead LCD or motor (since these parts are discontinued) and swap the part from there.

14. bonerp May 22, 2018

I sold one last year when i gotthis one that had a good analogue piece....idiot me. Shouldve kept it for a parts bin.

15. ChrisN May 22, 2018

I think the reason that STS don't want to do it is as given by Al, above. It's a "return to base" calibre so has to go back to Bienne.

You don't need a parts watch and often, all the parts worn out on one watch will be worn out on the parts watch you have as well. As I said above, most of the movement parts seem to be available so, I just briefly scanned some suppliers and at first glance, virtually everything in the mechanical side is available except for the plate, bridge and date guard. Crown pushers etc all seem to be listed as well. But, I'm still assuming your case is 196.0052 in stainless and it will then hold a cal 1611 as you haven't said what it is.

Good luck with it.

Regards, Chris

16. bonerp May 22, 2018

Yes it's the 1611 chris

17. bonerp Jul 12, 2018

Received the estimate from Biel to repair my watch ... £1650. I've asked them to return it as this is ridiculous and exceeds what I paid for it.

20180712_163451.jpg
  18. tyrantlizardrex Jul 12, 2018

Fricking heck.

19. JulianK Jul 12, 2018

I think most people here will agree sending it to Omega is not the number one option. It sounds like they want to replace a lot more than just a pusher. Was the quote similar for an independent watchmaker?

20. tyrantlizardrex Jul 12, 2018

If you read the thread, you can see that sending it to Omega was a bit of a last resort, as the independents who might have been able to fix it said it would have to go to Bienne. :unsure:

bonerp likes this.