Forums Latest Members
  1. Tuura990 Mar 4, 2018

I’m very new to watches, and am wondering what are the basic quality tools I should have?
    At the minimum I would like to change bands and links and as I gain more knowledge open and close case backs.
    I’m looking on Amazon and see many inexpensive tool kits but my past experience with cheap tools is just that. They are cheap, and I don’t want to gnarle a good watch up because they fail.
    Recommendations appreciated.

2. Jerseyhammer Mar 4, 2018

The amazon basic kits are fine to start with IMO and to get use to things . Make sure you get one with screwdriver and hammer You should also get an eye peice for close up work, illuminated with blue light to check floressence of dials etc . Have fun

3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 4, 2018

I bought a box set off amazon a few weeks ago + eye piece with light and they seem ok for now. I also bought a job lot of 23 mechanical watches (about half working) off eBay for around £50. When they arrive I will be using these for gaining more familiarisation of different watch movements and opening cases etc. That way I reduce the risk of damaging any good watches at a later date.
    Worth considering.

GordonL and Jerseyhammer like this.
  4. Tuura990 Mar 4, 2018

Good point on the blue light, I’m learning more! Thxs

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  5. Tuura990 Mar 4, 2018

Great idea on the cheap watches for gaining skill.

Gav1967 likes this.
  6. Jerseyhammer Mar 4, 2018

Anytime we all start somewhere

7. alam Mar 4, 2018

I stick to Skill Level 1 tasks, and for those repairs requiring other tools, I'll let a watchmaker deal with those tasks. :)

hrfdez and Gav1967 like this.
  8. Tuura990 Mar 4, 2018

I’ll start with the basics, but as time goes on will want to do more. It’s just the way I’m wired.

Gav1967 likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 4, 2018

I am minding my own buisiness at Christies. Somone leans over my shoulder, tells me he has a better one, and that I probably dont know what I am looking at if I am considering the watch I am holding.

Thats a "Watch Tool"

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2018

But his had "Luuuuuuuuuuuuminnnnnnnnnoooooooooova!"

Obviously much better than that old fashioned T stuff.