Forums Latest Members

Watch theft in SF China town.

1. Professor Jul 30, 2019

Just ran across a news video showing a broad daylight assault on two elderly Chinese American civic leaders in China town.
    They found video images of the thugs just before the attack that show their faces clearly.
    The three thugs were moving with obvious purpose as if they knew exactly who they were going to hit and where. It was obviously a planned premeditated attack.
    The only thing stolen was the watch of one of the victims.

It may be difficult to find the video again. There have been dozens of gang assaults on elderly Chinese in China Town in recent months, many of these fatal.

The attackers in the video were all tall fit black men with what I believe to be North African or Somalian features. Two may have been brothers, possibly all three related. They looked to be well practiced in their trade.

If anyone has found more information on this let me know.

Otterina and Pvt-Public like this.
  2. Civic4982 Jul 30, 2019

Height and weight as well as clothing and time would probably be best. Better would be image as well as finding the video of the news story itself may help.

Likewise, any information about the watches should they turn up for sale.

I’m not sure I know enough about physical features to understand your description of “North African or Somalian features” means.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 30, 2019

Data does not match a lot of murders in SF esp China town.

Just saying...

4. Professor Jul 31, 2019

Distinctive aquiline features compared to sub-Saharan. Contrary to popular belief they don't all look alike.
    Neither of the victims in this attack were killed, it was a quick and well timed attack. Which is why I suspect it was premeditated and the object was the watch itself, a Gold Rolex.
    https://abc7news.com/exclusive-viol...lt-suspects-seen-in-new-photos-video/5430301/

""For years, the Chinese Community has been complaining that they've been disproportinately targeted for robberies, assaults in their homes, businesses and on the street," he said.

The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association is offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the latest attack."

Edited Jul 31, 2019
  5. gbesq Jul 31, 2019

I’m certainly sympathetic to the victims, but I wouldn’t be wearing any expensive watch, let alone a gold Rolex, in any urban area. When in doubt, my Omegas stay home and I wear a beater that no one would want.

6. whyboddau Aug 1, 2019

That isn’t quite fair to not wear a watch worn for decades in the community you’ve lived in for decades. Crimes like this could happen almost anywhere. Especially with apparent planning and especially to the elderly.
    The community is calling out for safety and protection.

That said, I wouldn’t wear a gold Rolex in sketchy parts of the city. But SF Chinatown is usually crowded and perceived safe. Unfortunate that times have changed.

7. JwRosenthal Aug 1, 2019

Like a Rolex ;)

kkt likes this.
  8. gbesq Aug 1, 2019

Exactly! Just not a gold Rolex. ::bleh::

9. Evitzee Aug 1, 2019

How about a WHITE gold Rolex?

10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 1, 2019

Walked up and down that street many a time. Crowded, tons of people. Kinda obvious the criminals are not worried about anyone stopping them or any type of quick police response.
    Only thing I ever worried about was how many shopkeepers would hassle us to come in their shop.

Poor guy that got beat and ripped off. San Fran, home of the open season on law abiding citizens.

11. merchandiser Aug 1, 2019