Forums Latest Members
  1. Gasman Dec 22, 2018

Recently I sent my Yemen to a big watchmakers in London I got them off their impressive website. They had quoted me £340 to service the watch, but when they got it they then quoted me £606. I phoned and asked why and they said it needed some parts. I told them I didn’t like the way they did business and to return it.
    When I got the watch back I posted it to Simon Freese for a service. He inspected the watch and said a service wasn’t required as it was running OK, but said he would do it if required. I decided to have it back and sent him my broad arrow as I knew that hadn’t been done. He serviced the watch and charged me £294.
    The moral of this story is always use recommended companies.

kkt, Petervl, 89-0 and 5 others like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2018

There are good and bad doctors, lawyers, accountants, car mechanics, builders, etc., so it makes sense that there are good and bad watchmakers too.

"They had quoted me £340 to service the watch, but when they got it they then quoted me £606."

Having said that, was the first price this place gave you really a quote, and not an estimate? There's a difference, and no watchmaker I know will give a firm quote on a watch service/repair sight unseen. If it was a quote and they tried to charge you more, yes that's not good. If the price was an estimate that could change upon inspection of the watch, that is actually pretty normal.

M.D. and staristheanswer like this.
  3. Gasman Dec 24, 2018

The first price was a quote for a full service.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2018

If it was a form quote, it should have been honoured.

5. M'Bob Dec 24, 2018

But, there is...

image.jpeg

6. staristheanswer Dec 24, 2018

My watchmaker priced a watch I send to him for service at 50 euros.When he opened the watch he said that it needed a part and it would cost 85 euros in total.
    So I am with Archer on this one :There's a difference, and no watchmaker I know will give a firm quote on a watch service/repair sight unseen.

7. Gasman Dec 24, 2018

The point you seem to be missing is it didn’t need parts or a service at all, but was priced at £606

dennisthemenace likes this.
  8. 104RS Dec 27, 2018

Hard to find a good watchmaker, the good ones are always very busy..