Forums Latest Members

Watch straps How fussy are you?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 2, 2016

Here is a watch that arrived yesterday. 1st picture The watch came with the original strap the has a very nice eternal logo buckle.
    However the strap is 18mm and tapers to 14mm at the buckle so the original buckle is 14mm.

2nd picture I have a spare strap that is 18x14 the strap looks ok but is very thin in the thickness of the strap

3rd picture another spare strap off a Chronswiss 18x18mm a bit over padded for this watch but I am going to leave well enough alone and keep the Chronoswiss strap on the Eterna So far two days and three straps later I am using up my spare straps Still not the look I am after but close enough.

When a new watch arrives to you play around with strap combinations or leave well enough alone and keep the original strap?

ana.jpg ana1.jpg ane4.jpg
    Larry S, Mad Dog and noelekal like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 2, 2016

Great watch!

I think I'll pick "door No. 2."

I enjoy straps. They can make all the difference in the watch.

3. Finrod Felagund Nov 2, 2016

Very nice Eterna you got here! :thumbsup:

For this one I will vote original blue strap... the grey/blue is very nice and a perfect match to the dial.

When I receive a new one I usually take time to find the "right" strap or bracelet that willcompliment it.

Sometime I try my best to source an original (specally true for bracelets) but most of the time I spend hours to find a nice leather that will give it a touch!

It's also one of the pleasure we have with watches...

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 2, 2016

I usually look at the condition of the inside of the strap. If it is used or has human gunk on it I get rid of it ASAP unless it is original to the watch. And I'd like to have 2-3 options per watch for the freedom/ability to match what I am wearing better if need be.

As for the watch in the OP, I think a nice chocolate colored strap might compliment the blue dial well. Maybe white stitching to compliment the furniture or black stitching to compliment the background of the date wheel.

PaulC77 likes this.
  5. wristpirate Nov 2, 2016

The first photo original strap is best suited, I would try to find another with the same colour tone.

The fun of getting a new watch is then hunting down a brand new strap for it. I'd remove the used strap but hold onto it in case I later sell the watch. And then go searching for a fresh new minty one!

Vitezi and Waltesefalcon like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 2, 2016

Get a custom blue strap with either no stitch or a dark grey stitch at the lugs.

Now if there was only someone on the forums that could custom make that....;)

Jwit likes this.
  7. WelshBoa Nov 2, 2016

I would definitely go for strap No.1

8. gr8sw Nov 2, 2016

nice, I vote for #2... now let's see the Eterna buckle!

9. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 2, 2016

Last strap change Omega strap I like the profile better than the heavy padded strap. I trying to use up some spare straps without buying a new strap

ane5.jpg
    Northernman, ahartfie and Larry S like this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 2, 2016

I will post the buckle in a couple hours I need to go

11. Rman Nov 2, 2016

I would go dark blue leather, maybe lizard or gator.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 1.54.58 PM.png

PaulC77, MikiJ, Waltesefalcon and 3 others like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 2, 2016

I like the blue gator idea with minimum padding. I'm very fussy about straps. They need to be real hide, not faux gator for example, and work with the watch. No / minimum padding on 35mm watches.

MikiJ, blubarb and noelekal like this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 2, 2016

Comfort is my primary concern, followed closely by appearance.

@voere - if you aren't going to use the logo buckle, shoot me a PM with a picture of it. Maybe we can strike a deal.

14. SmokyT Nov 2, 2016

It depends on the watch. But I started playing with straps more these days as they are vastly less costly than getting more watches (and maintaining them regularly).

I like the last one (i.e., Omega strap).

15. blubarb Nov 2, 2016

#1 for me as the colour of the strap and the colour of the dial are in harmony. The black is too stark and detracts, for me anyway, from the watch and the dial colour.

I am constantly swapping straps & bracelets. One reason why I am at war the Rolex design team...that's right I said it the Rolex design team (they do exist) and who with no cause to my needs and only my needs systematically deconstructed the last bastion of commonsense left in the watch world and yes, I am talking about through springbar holes. When they haphazardly removed these they did so against my direct command not to do so. They blatantly ignored me and my needs and my pending litigation for mental cruelty. I told them that the universe dictated to me that I be able to change out straps/bracelets on an almost hourly basis in a quick and orderly manner and without lug damage or thought to anyone else, but did they listen... ? They did not! A pox upon their house! :mad: Oh...wait...where was I...:thumbsdown: oh yeah...number one, yeah, that looks stunning. :rolleyes: Now back to lug bar holes and Rolex...:whipped:

Edited Nov 2, 2016
    Larry S, philh and Foo2rama like this.
  16. blubarb Nov 2, 2016

When you gotta go you gotta go, but a little too much information, no? And a couple of hours? Are you eating your grains :whistling: Perhaps you could try, "hey, smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

Jwit likes this.
  17. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 3, 2016

aeb.jpg
    Edited Nov 3, 2016
    blubarb likes this.
  18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 3, 2016

I agree but This project is going low buck $$$ I am trying to use up some spare straps

Edited Nov 3, 2016
  19. blubarb Nov 3, 2016

Great choice. Just messin' by the way, having fun...:D I get like that after trying out new(ish) boubon;).

Sounds like a good time watching a game at a pub over a few drinks with mates! Should be more of it.

I do get fussy about bracelets, but a little less funnily enough with straps - it's really about comfort then the style then the colour. I do love the rubber straps made by Rubber B and Everest, probably the most comfortable outside of the bracelet for me but really for newer watches - I believe they are made from caoutchouc (French for rubber?) either way, yes, somewhat fussy but always on the lookout for the next best thing in a bracelet or rubber strap - Leather is good but nylon nato not so much.

ahartfie and voere like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 3, 2016

I will hang on to the buckle One day I may find a nice strap that will work on this Eterna