Forums Latest Members

Watch Strap width preference

1. BradleyJ. Feb 8, 2019

Obviously I'm limited to whichever width my lugs are.....20mm needs a 20mm 19mm needs a 19mm ect..

Went into my AD today for a half link and while I was there decided to browse some strap options. I was dissapointed to see how few straps were offered in the catalog that I was shown. The weird thing is I was on the hunt for the last 2 months for a 20mm for my speedy and many straps that I know are readily available were not even in the catalog. I ended up with a snoopy and that wasn't in the catalog either, but I can kinda see the reason being it is "limited" (as I like to say.... limited to the amount they can sell :D)

Enough of my rambling.... The current watch in question is a 19mm and the catalog had 19/18mm and 19/16mm strap options. None of which I was interested in unfortunately. Since I'm looking for a black cordura strap like the snoopy style I'm thinking maybe I'll have one made thru Jean Rousseau but that makes me ask myself should I go for 19/18 or 19/16?

On one hand I like the look of a taper but is 19/18 gonna show enough of a taper or will it look almost straight? On the other hand will 19/16 be so much of a taper that it will almost look feminine due to the smaller folding clasp? Or even is the 19/16 supposed to be for ladies watches? Not that I question my masculinity Haha. I would welcome anyone who has a picture of either size strap on an omega folding clasp as well as just thoughts and opinions on what you'd personally choose.

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 8, 2019

UKwatchstrap.co.uk has a good selection of 19mm straps

BradleyJ. likes this.
  3. BradleyJ. Feb 8, 2019

Thanks, I'm kinda dead set on cordura though. The snoopy strap is ridiculously comfy

4. fakinbacon Feb 8, 2019

I was in the same boat for the 39.5mm Planet Ocean that I just bought, which also has the unfortunate 19mm sizing. Found the catalogue selections to be pretty pitiful so I decided to order a customized Snoopy strap through Jean Rousseau. Went with 19mm tapered to 18mm since I already have an Omega deployant that I'd like to use, though I probably would've gone that way regardless since a big taper would seem a little out of place on a bulky sports watch... personal preference, though. Also had it made shorter for my small wrists, and with slate grey stitching as opposed to white. Came out to $250 and should be here next month, so I'd be happy to provide some pictures then if anyone is interested.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 8, 2019

6. BradleyJ. Feb 8, 2019

Next step is to cut out mock strap from thick paper in both tapers and just see if I can come to a conclusion that way. I see what your saying with a sport watch but in my case it's a railmaster in 36mm so it's a slim piece.

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 8, 2019

At times like this you have to ask yourself... what would Ron do?

[​IMG]

8. BradleyJ. Feb 8, 2019

Yeah WWRD

9. Jonathan40 Feb 8, 2019

19/18 as a 16mm taper looks too narrow for a sports watch in my opinion.
    Plus at those prices you need as much material as possible to justify the cost as I’m sure they would be the same price. Ultimately your paying for the workmanship/time and not the material.
    Buckle or deployment should also be factored in, deployment option then definitely 18 but pin buckle both would work but as I said 18 would be my choice.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2019

Omega has a fitted lug cordura in 19mm for the speedy dates.

BradleyJ. likes this.