Forums Latest Members
  1. Rjd1 May 28, 2013

Last summer was arguably a very special time with London hosting the 2012 Games and attracting thousands of people to the Olympic Park. I along with hundreds of people I visited the Omega Boutique in Stratford to see the superb museum collection exhibition. I was particularly drawn to a ​
    Railmaster Chronograph, powered by the Omega calibre 3205. I simply felt that Railmaster was arguably a superb example of a watch with a 1957 heritage. ​

Six months later I decided that I wanted to mark my 55th birthday with another watch and began a search. The more I searched the more I was drawn to the Railmaster, however as a discontinued model it proved very difficult to source. I only came across two XXL models for sale and at a high price, I blame Jeremy Clarkson for that. Not giving up, I telephoned the Bond Street boutique to see if they had a Railmaster and was told again that the watch was discontinued, however they were aware of a Railmaster on exhibition at the Statford boutique. I contacted Stratford and was told the exhibition was still running but was due to end the following day. The next day I made the journey to Stratford. On arrival I was warmly greeted and was told that since the exhibition was to be packed up I could handle the collection including the much admired Railmaster. After three absorbing hours I ask if the Railmaster was for sale and to my surprise I was told yes. Not only was it available but at its original 2003 relaunch price inclusive of a steel and leather strap. Without doubt, I found myself in the right pace at the right time.

Has anybody else got a watch story to tell?

View attachment image.jpg

Spy and SpikiSpikester like this.
  2. ulackfocus May 28, 2013

Once upon a time......

Okay, seriously - During a visit to NYC 3 or so years ago, a friend (Greg / RJ007), Windy, and I stopped in the Breguet and Omega boutiques since they're right next door to each other. While the Breguet experience was great, it was more dreaming than anything else. The Omega boutique was another story. Tried on a grey dial 38.5 mm Aqua Terra and it fit like it was tailor made for me. While I didn't like the dial colors available enough to buy one then, I swore that if they came out with a blue dial I'd be powerless against it's draw and forced to fork out the cash for one. It was one of my few wishes for Omega's Basel offerings last year:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/baselworld-2012.490/#post-4287

Flash forward to early 2013 when the blue Skyfall AT was available - went and put a deposit down in January, my AD ordered it, and it was on my wrist March 2nd. I've been wearing it a disproportionate amount of time ever since and my other watches are really jealous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Central Scrutinizer and Rjd1 like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 28, 2013

Love the blue lume.

4. Rjd1 May 28, 2013

A watch should evoke a personal narrative, for me my collection characterise my life. No matter how much I paid for them they are all special. Thank you for contributing to the watch story.

NT931 likes this.
  5. Spy You know my name. May 29, 2013

Love the lume and clasp on that Dennis. Thumbs up!

6. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

Oh, I've got one more personal - and a normal person would think it's downright stupid. I inherited my grandfather's Bulova from the 40's, and to keep it in good shape I bought another watch with the same color scheme to wear in place of the Bulova. Yep, I went out and spent $2000 on a Rolex DateJust with a salmon dial so I could preserve a $300 rose gold Bulova. :confused:

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 29, 2013

Any reason for buying a watch is a good reason.

8. Rjd1 Jun 1, 2013

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Indeed I am an avid watch collector who will only buy a watch if instantly attracted to it. Yes this watch is quirky and has an offset look about it, Rolex my have produced the 'blue print for a dive watch' with their Submariner but Xicorr is definitely testing the convention and why not. My attraction to a watch is not only in its aesthetics but also in its 'story'. Indeed, in the Xicorr Circle Garda 2012 Limited Edition I have found a story. First my family is Polish, second my eldest son has dived in the Italian Lake Garda, third the watch was tested on the 9th September 2012 which would have been my late wife's birthday and last but not least I can't think of a better birthday present for my son.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 1, 2013

Nice story..... it is not everyday you can find a 'match story' like this one. :thumbsup:

10. theconsultant Jun 6, 2013

Well, should you want to sell your Datejust, I would buy it from you!

11. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2013

Long gone. Sorry! No Rolexes currently in the collection.

Now if a mint mid 60's Zephyr popped up for a deal that may change........

12. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

Just a thought, does that mean that watch collectors aren't 'normal people'?

13. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2013

Correct. Normal people don't fret over the stuff we do.

14. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

Love it.

15. Rjd1 Jun 9, 2013

I only joined the forum a week ago to contribute to this forum. Unfortunately I feel that I have not been made as welcome as I hoped by a few with some curt messages posted. Therefore I have reluctantly decided not to make any further contributions. Thank you to all that have liked what I have written, the images I have downloaded and for the meaningful conversation.

16. Mothra Jun 9, 2013

That's a shame. You get all sorts on this forum, my take is I'm throwing stuff out there and even if i don't get the response i hoped for others may get benefit from some of my posts at some point. Why don't you lurk for a while and leap back in if/when you want to?