Forums Latest Members
  1. mikekchc Dec 6, 2017

Hey all,

Wondering if there is anything I should be mindful of when I am storing my watches...

Also wondering, I have a new watch with a new strap (leather), is it better if I not strap it onto a watch foam thing for display?

2. AnotherDon Dec 6, 2017

My #1 concern is security. I find that a safe is far superior to a dresser drawer in the event of a burglary. I learned that with my first nice watch, a Rolex Datejust 30+ years ago.

Also, having that leather strap wrapped around that foam thingy shouldn't be a problem. When you wear it, the strap is wrapped around your wrist. All leather straps wind up with a built-in curvature.

:)

3. Edantony Dec 6, 2017

I would say that the ultimate best thibg is a built-in safe. My sister had her home burglarized on her wedding night (horrendous), and they took the whole safe.

Aesthetics are also to consider, whether you want to have the box hidden away in a dresser or a see-through box to admire them on the go.

Finally, if you have an automatic perpetual calendar I guess a winder acts like a box and is quite necessary to keep it running.

For the strap I wouldn't know but instinctively would agree with what @AnotherDon said.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 6, 2017

Safe bolted to floor, not easily found. Safe deposit box for vacations. Insure your colllection. Do not under any circumstances put them out on display.

1jansen likes this.
  5. 1jansen Dec 6, 2017

+ 1 copy what Larry said, and ensure :
    1. Safe is hidden and not easily found.
    2. When burglars come, ensure there is no one at home (I am joking!). Otherwise, once houseowner or member is held up, the best of safes doesn't help at all.
    3. Household Insurance is the answer. Made an inventory with full descriptions and photos. Made sure you are adequately insured cuz generally a household policy has limit on valuable items, such as jewelry and watches, unless they are separately declared.
    4. Depisite them at the bank.
    5. Have fun and fund.
    Wish you all best of luck.

6. watch72 Dec 6, 2017

As mentioned - top concern is security.
    To keep it safe and where could it be safer than on your wrist :)
    Humidity can cause coloured gold watches (rolled or solid) to have colouration. But nothing a nice jewellery cloth can't remove.
    Leather strap - essentially no difference between laying it on a surface or strapping it on a cushion. But do wipe it regularly (with a dry or slightly damp cloth) if you want to keep the strap clean and in good shape. If the strap is wet - water or sweat - leave it to dry naturally on a flat surface. Do not put it over or under anything to expedite the drying. It will potentially do damage the leather. If you are really conscientious
    then use leather protection cream every now and then to keep the leather soft and supple.

It may sound fastidious to some, but it is a good habit to keep your watches looking good for many years. No different whether you have one watch or a collection of 30+ :D

7. mikekchc Dec 9, 2017

Thank you all!
    these are very good things to consider!

good point on the watch strap, i don't know why i hadn't considered that.

Maybe i should purchase some house insurance...

8. hotwheels Dec 9, 2017

If people know you wear nice watches and you become the talking point down the pub or golf club then my advice is hidden safe for your real watches, then an easily found cheap safe with some fake copy's inside, that way if you are threatened whilst at home you can show them the fake safe rather than the real one!!! (Maybe over the top but happened to a friend of mine)

9. river rat Dec 10, 2017

Has any one thought of a 500 pound or heavier gun safe that's two big and heavy for a burglar to move and bolted to the ground and if you are having a house built have a walk in closet built around it so it can't fit through the door some thing I should of thought when building my house maybe. Here is a good article on gun safes ones that are good and ones you don't want and there spots for guns and watches and you can get ones that are configured for just personal stuff if you have no guns.
    http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/

Waltesefalcon likes this.