Forums Latest Members
  1. Shall Jan 9, 2021

I have recently purchased an Omega Constellation Automatic and everytime I put it on in the morning it stops or runs very slow. It is the correct time when I put it on and I shake as we have been told to. I generally have to reset it at least twice and then it keeps perfect time for the rest of the day. It was serviced by Omega before we bought it. Could it be me that is causing it to stop. I don't know how or why, anyone out there have any answers.

20210109_112554.jpg
    Edited Jan 9, 2021
  2. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 9, 2021

You can't be serious? The clue to the spelling is on the dial :p

3. Shall Jan 9, 2021

I apologise, Constellation, don't think it has a connection to my problem though.

Gav1967 and MtV like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 9, 2021

An automatic watch is not like an automatic car, it doesn't just start and go when you put it on.

You have to "start" it with at least 40 winds of the crown. This gives the mainspring its rated "power reserve".
    Then as you wear it through the day (and night of you're a rager) the auto winder maintains mainspring power.

As you sleep, the mainspring power runs down but it's quickly topped up as you wear it the next day.

If an automatic watch has been at rest for a few days, it is always good practice to manually wind it before regular use.

Either that, or get a watch winderer.

Foo2rama, Dan S, Wryfox and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wryfox Jan 9, 2021

I think this is the #1 misconception about automatic watches. Not to say that doesn't benefit someone(like me), when pawn shop millenial staff sell me a $500 Omega for $8 because it "only runs for a few seconds if I shake it, must be broken" ;)

Professor, DaveK and JimInOz like this.
  6. Braindrain Jan 9, 2021

And you have proof it was serviced by Omega? Or just a verbal promise?

7. Canuck Jan 9, 2021

WIND IT MANUALLY, as has been suggested above. If you are normally active, and wear it at least 16 hours EVERY day, wind it manually about 40 turns of the winder when you pick it up and find it stopped, and if the watch is in good order, you won’t have to wind it manually again, until you find it stopped again. When you do find it stopped, REPEAT! THINK about it!

8. SkunkPrince Jan 9, 2021

Yes, manual wind, and I personally wear all my watches to bed except the Seiko, which loses 4 seconds a day if I do that.

If it hasn't been recently serviced, you might consider that.

9. Professor Jan 9, 2021

"May need a new battery". I love it when they say that about a obviously mechanical watch.

I always wind my automatics a few turns in the morning if that option is available, often I wind them to the fullest, but my 21 jewel Orient Crystal doesn't have a hand winding option.
    The Orient is only a couple of years old and very seldom worn but is no where near as accurate as my vintage 25 jewel Midland. I think the lack of a calendar for the Midland contributes to its outstanding accuracy.
    Perhaps if I wear the Orient everyday for a few months it will be properly broken in and become more consistent.

The Orient seems to gain several seconds during the date change, but run dead on during the day. It has occasionally stalled out during the date change.