Forums Latest Members
  1. Edantony Feb 13, 2018

Hi all,

I can't seem to find the info skimming through the forum, but I bought a chrono I would need some slight cleaning and crystal changing. Im based in New York, I was wondering whom you would recommend.

Hereunder is a pic of said chrono:

Thanks alot,
    Emilien

IMG_0068.JPG
    strick9, Looneytoons and KstateSkier like this.
  2. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Feb 13, 2018

I have heard good things about the watch shop in grand central station. I think they are called watch central. If not mistaken. But it’s the only watch repair spot. No way to confuse it. Good luck.

3. strick9 Feb 13, 2018

it's perfect now service it leave the crystal be

watch3s likes this.
  4. Edantony Feb 14, 2018

Actually, what I didnt mention is that the crystal fell off :(

5. Edantony Feb 14, 2018

Thank you, I will check that out. Its right next to my office.

6. Edantony Feb 14, 2018

Thank you, I went there and dropped off the watch. Very convenient location. Looking forward to getting it back

7. Edantony Feb 21, 2018

Hi,

Just an update. $175 to change the crystal (yikes!), and asked for a full movement service (its a landeron 48) - and they're asking $1,350. Am I stupid, or is that $500-$1,000 more than it should be?

Thanks alot,
    Emilien

8. Edantony Feb 21, 2018

I mean both timekeeping and chrono functions were working just fine, but I asked out of curiosity. The ebay post I bought it from said it was just serviced - although I tend not to trust that - and central watch is telling me the watch is lacking oil "and will soon stop".

9. donashby Feb 21, 2018

Everything is more expensive in New York! I took a Rolex explorer that I accidentally pulled the crown out too far to be repaired and they said it needed an overhaul and a new crystal. I wouldn’t let them change the crystal, but the bill was $2000! Works great now but will be more careful setting the time in the future! I am scared to take anything else there unless it really needs something! No credit cards either.....

10. Edantony Feb 21, 2018

That is insane... I also have a Speedy Alaska I'd like to service - I was thinking about having it serviced at that shop but I think I'll end up at the Omega boutique...

11. Edantony Feb 21, 2018

$2000 seems insane...

12. donashby Feb 21, 2018

The danger of sending a vintage watch to Omega or Rolex is that they will replace anything they think needs replacing with a newer part, including dials and hands which you most likely don't want changed, and you cannot ask them not to, they do what they think is best to bring the watch up to the latest. You have to bite the bullet somewhere else, but I think Central Watch does a good job anyway, just pricey. Let me know if you find another good one in NYC.