Forums Latest Members
  1. Nick Lowe Oct 2, 2015

Hi I recently had my 2254.50 serviced in Ernest Jones. obviously it was entitled to Omega. I received it back approx 6 weeks later and was horrified when I looked at my watch as there was scratches all over the glass and bezel. Now when I handed it to Ernest Jones they inspected it and we both agreed there was 2 little digs in the glass which I knew about and the bracelet had various scratches in a few places. Now I obviously complained furiously about the state my watch returned in and insisted it get sorted out immediately. They then sent it back to Omega and Omega emailed back saying the scratches were already on it before they received it. I don't know what to do as ernest jones are saying that they were probably on there already ?????

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

I have no idea who Ernest Jones is or where you are located, but unless you have photos of what the watch looked like before you sent it in, I don't know if you are going to get very far with your complaints.

I hope you get it sorted, and next time take photos before you hand the watch over...

Cheers, Al

3. lillatroll Oct 2, 2015

@Archer :Earnest Jones is national jewellery retailer in the UK. I would imagine that it would be better for them to sort it out than receive the bad review they are likely to get. Absolutely agree with al s advice though,take 'pictures in future.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 2, 2015

I would be surprised if your watch was actually sent to Omega .
    Don't they normally give an assessment of the condition of the watch with a breakdown of what needs replacing which you have to agree to before they repair a watch?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

I take photos of the watches as they look when I get them in, and I think Omega might do this as well (I know some service centers do this as a matter of policy as I do). I do this because people will forget what marks were on the watch when they send a watch in. I'm not even talking about someone trying to pull something, which I think can also happen, but just honest mistake of not paying that close attention to the watch condition before it is sent in.

I think when the watch comes back from service, people tend to look at it far more closely than they likely have since the day they first bought it. I have had people tell me marks were "not there" when they sent it in, and I have produced photos taken right after removing it from the shipping box showing those marks were actually there when the watch came to me.

I can't say what happened with the OP's watch, but having been on the other side of this issue several times, I know that all claims that "they scratched my watch" are not necessarily true.

Cheers, Al

6. Canuck Oct 2, 2015

I find it odd that some folks feel that a watch that spent, say, half a day being attended to in a repair shop can acquire damage the couldn't possibly have happened over years of wear on the wrist. Some years ago, I did a battery on a Movado Museum Sapphire. When the guy picked it up, he said "my crystal is scratched". The watch went to Movado for a replacement that COST $200.00. When he picked it up, I told him that I DID NOT scratch his crystal! The crotch answered with, "I know you didn't"! He had a smirk on his face when he said it! I was working p/t for a retailer at the time. I invited him to never come back, (and got away with it)!

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2015

Are they just being "Cruel to be Kind"?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nick Lowe and Rockpile were college favorites of mine.
    gatorcpa

8. PatrickJ Oct 2, 2015

Ernest and Jones are Omega AD

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 2, 2015

• Yes ,I know that . It doesn't mean that they don't send omega watches that are out of warranty to the local watchmaker who butchers a watch like the OP's. Ernest and Jones are not Omega AD here where I live.
    • I dare say there are many Ernest Jones across the UK who aren't either.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

That's no guarantee it was actually sent to Omega. As noted if it was sent to Omega there would be a formal assessment made of the watch (and a quote for the work), and typically they are always pretty liberal with the descriptions of scratches and dents. I have sent in nearly new looking watches to Swatch and if I had not seen the watch in person, the description would have made me think it was totally beat up...

This from a watch that was sent in with no visible scratches other than a scuff on the bezel:

The bezel is scratched.
    The case shows signs of scratches and/or dents.
    The case back shows signs of scratches and/or dents.

There were no scratches or dents on the watch other than the bezel...you can be sure they cover themselves...

Cheers, Al

PatrickJ likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 2, 2015

Always get the quote myself after catching a AD trying to charge $200 to send a watch to TAG (even after they made me pay $25 postage upfront when I dropped the watch in)
    Lucky I had been in touch with TAG and had the quote sent to me also.

12. Slipstreamer Oct 2, 2015

When I sent in my watch the second time this is what was stated on the invoice:

> The strap is worn.
    > The case shows signs of scratches and/or dents.

However, when I told their customer service, they told me that they looked at the watch with a loupe. Told them I also did and dropped it at their service center without any scratches or worn strap. I guess it's it's automatic for them to make these comments.

Anyway, I got my watch back without any scratches or a worn strap. Geez.

13. PatrickJ Oct 3, 2015

True. They will always cover themselves.

14. PatrickJ Oct 3, 2015

Ernest Jones have some stores that seek Omega and others not.

15. OmegaSean Oct 3, 2015

Ernest Jones slightly upmarket H Samuel's I'm curious to why you used EJ? As said unless you have photos I think you will have difficulty proving they weren't already their. Did you complain immediately like not take it out of the shop inspect it in the shop?
    OmegaSean

16. OmegaSean Oct 3, 2015

This clip brings back so many memories really brightened up my morning :)

OmegaSean

17. Leona Oct 6, 2015

Depending what branch you used , they do usually take photos on a tablet before they send to outworkers so maybe you could enquire .

18. Dombo63 Oct 12, 2015

Ernest Jones don't seem to be up to selling Omega watches, let alone servicing them. The classic Speedy is not even listed on their website as such but just "Omega Men's Steel bracelet watch".
    And this is how they describe it:

Designed by renowned Swiss watchmaker Omega, this stainless steel bracelet watch is eye-catchingly stylish and features a tachymeter bezel, chonograph and classic Omega branding.
    A prestigious brand combining flair with timekeeping precision, Omega has created iconic watches over its 150 year history.