Forums Latest Members
  1. M.D. Sep 16, 2015

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 17, 2015

I have to say I'm not usually a fan of these things, but these pieces seem to be a step or two above the typical "watch parts art" that I have seen before. The other items I've seen look like "crafts" rather than art, but these are very nicely done indeed.

There is always a little part of me that wonders what valuable parts were possibly destroyed in the making of these pieces, and I know there are purists on other sites that are very hostile towards this sort of thing, but I know you can buy old parts unsorted in bags by the kilo. The reality is, parts sold like this that you have no idea what they fit are not terribly useful in watch repairs. I would be upset if she was taking fully working watches and pulling them apart for these, but I suspect that's not the case.

Cheers, Al

3. M.D. Sep 17, 2015

Yeah, I can't say I've seen anything like this yet, and don't think I'd buy anything like this, but I was impressed with the level of detail. She is certainly skilled and creative.

I would imagine she would have enough wherewithal to know if the materials she's using are valuable. And to your point Al, there is definitely a lot of scrap out there which I'm sure is perfect for this sort of thing. I agree, let's give her the benefit of the doubt.