Forums Latest Members
  1. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

hi all,

finding myself in philly today as I do the holiday travel thing. any great vintage spots I shouldn't miss?

happy holidays!

M

2. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

You could hit the shops on and around Jeweler's Row (Sansom between 6th and 7th). 6th has a few places one block either way from Sansom, and 7th has several within 3 blocks either way. There's also a little indoor flea market kinda thing on 6th near Bainbridge that's inside an old church (if it's still there - it's been 5 years since we had the apartment on Lombard). 2 or 3 stalls usually have old watches. I fished a sweet vintage Aquadive out of there for $45 once, and a nice vintage Omega bumper for a couple hundred. Don't tell anyone about that place as it's my secret.

EDIT: If I wasn't working I'd join you. Jim's Steaks on South and 4th (maybe 3rd?) or Steve's Prince of Steaks are great cheesesteak joints. Don't get the cheezwhiz - that's for tourists. Get the provolone with fried onions.

3. Kmart Dec 23, 2016

+1! Never understood the cheese wiz thing... provolone w/fried onions is the way to go. :thumbsup:

themattedial likes this.
  4. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

Thanks @ulackfocus ! I grew up not too far from here, but it's been a long time and center city is a mystery to me. Really appreciate the recommendations. I'm staying right near city hall, so pretty close!

I'm all over the provolone :)

5. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Oh, and if you want to drool on the glass countertops, go to Govberg's on Walnut between 15th and 16th.

MikiJ and themattedial like this.
  6. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

The question is: does one do that BEFORE or AFTER a vintage hunt!

7. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Certainly before eating a cheesesteak. :p

Visit Govberg's last, then go eat dinner around the corner at The Prime Rib in the Warwick on Rittenhouse Square.

8. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

that's a definite possibility, though my brother in law is in charge of this evenings activities (lifelong Philly resident). I'm going to get the "real deal" no matter what!

9. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Cool. Lotsa good places to eat & drink in Philly. It's too bad it's so cold, because eating out front of Devon's on Rittenhouse lets you see some of the wonderful 'scenery' the city has to offer. (There's some very well put together scenery of all ages in Philly. ;) The gyms must make a fortune.)

Oh, if you need a break because you're both parched, see if your brother knows about Eulogy between Front and 2nd on Chestnut. Best beers on tap in the Old City area. Great bar food too.

themattedial likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 23, 2016

Jim's is where Dennis sent me when I was in Philadelphia. Very good.:thumbsup:

And yes, skip the Cheez-Wiz and Velveeta. Go for real cheese.

gatorcpa

themattedial, Larry S and ulackfocus like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 23, 2016

Jimmys is the best!

themattedial likes this.
  12. richardew Dec 23, 2016

Last night at 0300 I had a Pat's whiz wit. Only way to roll at 0300. If you hit jewelers row, then you need to do lunch at the Reading Terminal Market - roast pork w/greens at Dinic's.

13. TheKomoman Dec 23, 2016

I came close... 2 weeks ago picked up my GSotM at Govberg's and then had dinner at Butcher & Singer. No cheesesteak.

themattedial and ulackfocus like this.
  14. richardew Dec 23, 2016

Oh yea, there is a Govberg's on Jewelers Row. They have an Omega watchmaker there. He formerly was an independent who did Omega authorized service before they stopped using independents. He is a whiz with Speedmasters and has a ton of c321 experience. Manual. His wife Christine works the front of the shop. Tell them I sent you - Rich with all the speedys.

15. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

Thank you all - going to be a fun day here. If you're ever in San Francisco, I'm a resource!

16. themattedial Dec 23, 2016

How was that spot? Just walked past it.

17. TheKomoman Dec 23, 2016

Cool decor, very good food, excellent service, typical downtown steak house prices. Only knock I'd give them was the thumb seemed heavy on the wine list prices, even accounting for expected downtown restaurant wine list prices. There are other places I'd go in terms of food (Talula's Garden is a fave, and I just had an excellent dinner at El Vez) before it, but if I wanted a steak house downtown I'd definitely go back there.

themattedial likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Butcher & Singer is a Steven Starr place. Can't go wrong with any of his restaurants. They have some weird side dish called "stuffed hash browns" that you gotta try.

El Vez is a favorite too, even if it's just for margaritas and guacamole.

Noord has some interesting stuff too, and Perla is a down & dirty eat with your fingers Filipino place worth checking out right next door to Noord.

My wife and I have eaten at hundreds (literally) of places in Philly. You name the type of food, and I'll give you a few suggestions.

themattedial likes this.
  19. themattedial Dec 25, 2016

Loved Butcher and Singer. Bought gift certificates to leave behind with family! Thanks for the tips. Drinks on me next time I'm in town.

TheKomoman likes this.
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 26, 2016

Pawn seen is strong too...

GeorgeBailey2 likes this.