Forums Latest Members

Watch retailing is ready for disruption

1. Ferik Nov 29, 2015

or at least they need to re-think customer service (and I don't mean watch servicing) ::rant:

A few months back, I had my mind set on acquiring an FPJ Octa Lune in platinum. I had reached out to Manfredi in CT to inquire about availability in the pre-owned market. They didn't have one, sent me a catalog, end of story.

Recently, they've gotten a well priced Octa Lune. Would you think they'd call me, knowing I was looking for that item? No they didn't because they didn't bother establishing a relationship with me, trying to understand what I am looking for and figuring out a way to get me as a long term customer.

Whether we're talking about Omegas or FPJ, these retailers (used & new) deal with expensive items and mostly savvy customers. Why can't they figure out how to serve that market better than by just buying low and putting their products up on the Interweb?

2. blubarb Nov 29, 2015

Don't hold your breath waiting for change anytime soon.

3. Ferik Nov 29, 2015

That's what the taxicab & hotel industry said... How are they liking Uber & AirBNB?

Also, I am not asking for a huge shift, I just want a retailer to take the time to talk with me, understand and remember what I typically (or specifically) look for and reach out to me when they think they have something of interest to me. That's the key to long term relationships versus one-off sales.

This happens in other industries and doesn't require sophisticated web applications to do so.

Edited Nov 29, 2015
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 29, 2015

I think that the major watch brands are getting your message. That's one of the main reasons for the shift to dedicated brand boutiques, controlled by the marketing arm of the Swiss manufacturers. For all the complaints I've heard about the boutique system, one thing they are very good at is communication with customers.

Unfortunately, smaller brands don't have the capital to set up such boutiques, but are still working with local retailers under a traditional distributor relationship. This means that the customer is left to mercy of the local retailer when it comes to marketing new products. As you have seen, this arrangements has some inefficiencies.

A suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer directly, tell them your story and let them know that you would be open to a more direct relationship with them through the retailer of their choice. Worst that happens is that they insist on using that local retailer, but they give them a strongly worded letter about customer service for their brand.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

George.A likes this.
  5. Ferik Nov 29, 2015

I think we're seeing that more in the "new" retailers than the "pre-owned". The former know how to maintain relationships with their customers. It's the later I am more concerned about.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 29, 2015

Agreed. However, one advantage of pre-owned is that you are not limited by geography dictated by the manufacturer.

The Internet is a big place and there are lots of jewelers out there. I was also thinking of specific AD's as they would be the most likely place to take branded watches back in partial trade for other pieces from the same brand.

Good luck in finding what you want.
    gatorcpa

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 29, 2015

What you don't have a watch broker yet !

Rman and Spacefruit like this.
  8. alam Nov 29, 2015

Every sector has the their own share of good, bad and mediocre.

9. M.D. Nov 29, 2015

Have you purchased from them before? How often do you visit the store? Have you attempted to get to know any of the sales people? Building relationships is a two way street.

10. Ferik Nov 29, 2015

I have reached out to someone there twice. I know him by name and have discussed FPJ at length with him. If visiting the store is a necessity to build a relationship, how come it isn't for Govberg, Timepieces USA (NJ) & others?