Forums Latest Members
  1. Jimmy Jim Feb 21, 2014

As I continue to educate myself, I am looking at buying everything I need to completely take down a watch. Or at a bare minimum, remove the movement to get a better look. I am used to working under a scope or lens with precise tools as I am a former micro electronic CC repair tech. Can anyone recommend a store to purchase such things and a rough idea of what I would need to get?

2. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 21, 2014

Your location would help to point you in a good direction.

There are entire books on watchmaking with separate chapters dedicated to the tools and setup recommended.
    I have, like you, started off with a wish to do simple assessment of status and check for the obvious faults, and to be able to clean the case and outer parts.
    I would never work on a movement....... I am not trained, and hence I am not qualified for that.

Go for a decent quality, and get at least the following.

- Good set of screwdrivers.
    - Caseback opener (three thong adjustable usually works fine)
    - Pliers (different sizes and tips)
    - Movement holder.
    - Various watchmakers lenses (headband mounted).
    - Glass/Caseback press tool with either aluminum or plastic dies.
    - A proper quality spring bar tool (Bergeon 6767).
    - Bracelet Adjusting - Bracelet Pin Remover (Screw In)
    - Rodico cleaning compound.

I have surely forgotten a lot of stuff. Others may fill in.
    I get most of my supplies from Cousins in the UK.

Start of with patience and something inexpensive to "learn" on. And then work your way up.

Make sure your working area is clean (as in relatively dust free) and tidy.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  3. Jimmy Jim Feb 21, 2014

Thanks for the info!

I guess I take my location for granted since I live in the US, but I travel the world for work. So it gives me the opportunity to shop internationally.

I spent about 8 years as an apprentice repairing circuit cards and IC chips in clean tanks, so I have been down the road of learning slow and the right way. Like you, I would never go as far as trying to repair a movement, but having a deep knowledge of what it takes is the direction I look to go. Also as you said, being able to assess a watch a little further than the surface.

Again, thanks for the information!

4. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 21, 2014

If you are in the States Ofrei would be your best bet.

Cheers

5. epl108 Mar 6, 2014

Northernman or anyone else, what's the difference between the 6767-S and 6767-F, and which is a better option for a n00b like myself? Also, I'm looking on eBay and they seem to range from ~$15 - $30. Is there a reason they'd be listed more expensive here than on Ofrei? I see a "Bergeon Standard Nickel-Plated Brass Spring Bar Tool" for $15 there - is that the "normal" version or is the nickel/brass a cheaper version they make?

6. epl108 Mar 6, 2014

and is the $16 Bracelet Pin Remover Tool on the top of this page - http://www.ofrei.com/page237.html - crap or is it a good one and just cheap because of the source? I see the Bergen pin and screw remover tool with various pin heads is $300 - What is a fair price for a decent quality piece here?

Thanks for the continued help, OF!

7. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 7, 2014

Hi! The F designates fine tips. (Smaller). I prefer this. Make sure to get some extra tips (both sides). You will know why in a while!;)

8. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 7, 2014

I am using something similar myself. An Indian made one:oops: ... It works well for my limited use!
    Same here: Get some extra tips while you are at it!

9. woodwkr2 Mar 8, 2014

The time zone tool shop (google "tz toolshop" has a nice list of needed beginner gear. The AWCI also puts out a list of required tools for watchmakers pursuing their certifications.

Modern tools, even expensive Bergeon tools, are hit or miss at best. Best advice I ever got was to buy vintage tools whenever possible. You get a nicer tool for less money that way.

eBay is a great source. PM me and I can pass along a few others.