Watchpro salon 2022 London report – Photo heavy

Watchpro salon 2022 London Nov report – Photo heavy
So, I was pleased to attend the Watch pro 2022 event on Saturday 12/11/2022 at the super boutique Londoner hotel in Leicester square (which is as central and as London as it gets for visitors).
OF friend, Fratello founder and avid Speedy collector @Robert-Jan was a star turn at the event and gave an excellent talk on his own background and the Fratello story + some Omega news and views. There were not many Speedys at the official show, but the Speedy Tuesday fans brought their own which made up for that.

It was not a huge event but still well worth the trip and it was a very friendly show with a nice community atmosphere and people were happy to let true collectors and watch enthusiasts get hands on. Not all the watches were a hit for me – but a lot were. There were some interesting micro-brands and some nice watches from Germany and Japan. Breguet were not represented but in his talk they got RJ’s vote as an underappreciated old guard sleeper brand.
I will post up some watches which caught my eye at the show (mostly for good reasons – although the Perrelet turbine was not a hit for me).
Youtuber/watch dealer Paul Thorpe was doing the rounds and I also met up with Andy from the The English Watch Youtube channel. He is a lovely chap and puts up some thoughtful and detailed content.
Edited:

Oris had some respectable nicely priced offerings.
Seiko did not disappoint (mostly) and were literally centre stage
Sinn had some nice watches – their historic Breitling links giving one of the waterproof standout watches of the show for me with its Navitimer DNA which worked well (I think 41mm).

A lot of the brands seemed to be going green and Ball were ‘exploring’ some new designs.
Bonhams had some lovely and rare vintage watches on display – although later the Speedy Tuesday crew also did not disappoint.

Hanhart has some nice pilots watches and it was interesting to compare a German inspired what with a vintage 1942 RAF UK2292.
Junghans also had some nice pieces. It also showed how colour can vary in photos depending on the light and angle – you do need to see a watch in the flesh sometimes. Their past links to timing and the Olympics was front and centre (although not allowed to be branded as such).

Minase watches were interesting. Using standard movements as a base but modifying them and making only 500 hand-made pieces a year using traditional Japanese skills and crafts (also collaborating with some artists for limited and commissioned pieces).

Charles Girarrdier had an interesting back story and vintage enamelled pocket watches still looked pristine. There was a lot of knowledge and passion for watchmaking on that stand. Likewise the watches from Laurent Ferrier and L Leroy (some fine Guilloché work) were impressive in both style and finish.

It was great to catch up with RJ and fellow Fratello, Speedy Tuesday fans at the bar. A few fun stories, people being very generous with their knowledge information … and of course some obligatory wristwatch checks. The Apollo 11 50th was another example of a watch you really need to see in the flesh. It did win me over I have to say. The Ed White (curtesy of RJ) did not disappoint and is a fantastic watch (and a perfect choice with the Apollo 17 anniversary looming) Sadly it looks like there will not be any commemoration piece for that (but then again, we did all say there had been too many LE models I guess). There was a lot more to see and share but I think the OF server will send me a bill of load anymore photos. ;o)
Edited:

A lot of the brands seemed to be going green and Ball were ‘exploring’ some new designs.
Great to see them celebrating that heroic explorer Ernest Shackleton - his Antarctic rescue of his crew was the Apollo 13 of those days!

Great photos and write up. Thanks for sharing! Lots of interesting pieces. I’ve only really seen traditional stuff from Grand Seiko so that constant force tourbillon seems quite outside the box for them. Very cool.

It was great to catch up with RJ…

I feel like I must’ve brushed shoulders with you, I went to the event and the RJ/Speedy Tuesday talk!
Highlight for me was the Bonham’s consignment, especially the large dial Heuer 2446 and the stainless VC 222.
Did you also pop up to the refurbed Omega boutique on Regent St for the Speedy exhibition? There were some heavy hitting pieces on display there too - and RJ again!

I feel like I must’ve brushed shoulders with you, I went to the event and the RJ/Speedy Tuesday talk!
Highlight for me was the Bonham’s consignment, especially the large dial Heuer 2446 and the stainless VC 222.
Did you also pop up to the refurbed Omega boutique on Regent St for the Speedy exhibition? There were some heavy hitting pieces on display there too - and RJ again!

I did wonder is anyone else would be down. I was just there for the show and to meet up with Andy from the English Watch channel. I will drop you a PM. Cheers

Great to see them celebrating that heroic explorer Ernest Shackleton - his Antarctic rescue of his crew was the Apollo 13 of those days!

They had a nice article in their magazine. Good to see the story being kept alive. I would not say the Endurance was retrieved in 2022 but they did get some amazing shots of her for sure.