Forums Latest Members
  1. Stripey Apr 28, 2019

Probably about 20 years ago, I was given the attached clock by a close relative. Probably about 10 years ago, it stopped working - on a new battery, you could hear it ticking, but hands not moving. The manufacturer didn’t want to know. Two local watch repair people (and admittedly I’m talking booth in the shopping centre type here) said it was too complicated for them to repair.

The clock is of massive sentimental value, and I like it too. I put it away in a desk drawer. Recently, I thought I’d have another look at it. I worked out how to get the panel out that could let me look at the movement.

Now, I stand ready to be utterly wrong, but it seems to me that it’s just a fairly standard quartz watch movement, supplemented by a long crown and separately wired battery so that you can adjust and replace the battery in the base of the clock. Even if it couldn’t be repaired, surely it is the work of an hour or so for someone who actually knows what they’re doing to just swap the movement for a new one.

I’d be interested to know what you think and if there are any recommendations for someone in London to do this. It isn’t something I feel confident doing myself.

Photos attached.

2. Stripey Apr 28, 2019

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 28, 2019

I'm trying to resolve a similar issue.

The problem with the old electrical movements, and I suspect yours too, is that they were made to "watch" tolerances. Therefore, the shafts and pinions that the hands press on to are much finer than the replacement quartz movements found today. The other issue is the distance between the dial surface and the underside of the crystal/glass. Because the older movements had much finer tolerances, that distance is small compared to that which is needed for the current drop-in movements.

You could look around for a replacement quartz movement and even if you have to try a few (they're fairly cheap), you may find the right replacement.

4. Canuck Apr 28, 2019

That movement is a Harley 372 which is now obsolete. A list I checked shows that an ISA 1198 is a replacement. This is likely not as simple as it looks. Chances are the dial feet locations on the Harley dial will not be the same as required by the movement. And the Harley hands may not fit the ISA movement. That means the set up will have to be jury rigged. And don’t expect anyone who might undertake this challenge to attempt wiring the thing the way is was! Best of luck!

Another option might be to replace the guts, including dial, hands, movement etc., with a complete “fit-up” unit. To do this, the “guts” of your clock will have to be removed, the hole diameter measured, and (hopefully) a fit up movement can be found to fit the hole. If this is perhaps a useful suggestion, I suggest you dispense with the goofy wiring system, and simply open the case to remove the dead battery.

Just Google “fit up movements, and many suppliers offer them.

Edited Apr 28, 2019
  5. Stripey Apr 29, 2019

Thanks for this, both really helpful posts. I probably won't go down the fit up mechanism route, as I want to preserve the face. What I will do is try and find a sympathetic watchmaker. I actually took the back plate off the movement and it was so heavily magnetized that several parts immediately flew on to the screwdriver and I now have them in a plastic bag. I can't imagine someone who really knows what they are doing would find this that difficult provided they were paid properly.

6. Canuck Apr 29, 2019

You may have to keep your options open. Here is a page from the H & W Perrin Ltd. (Toronto) catalog showing fit up movements. Similar assortments will be available from other sources, depending on where you live.

FA738ABF-6455-4D2B-9E95-FB5299A0498E.png

Stripey likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 29, 2019

You haven't done much restoration on these early electric clocks have you. ;)

As @Canuck pointed out, your best option would be to use a modern battery powered replacement.
    It's quite possible to do it without losing the originality of the dial and you gain the reliability and accuracy of something that will last for years.

I have three clocks of similar vintage and problems in the restore mode at the moment.

Stripey likes this.
  8. Stripey Apr 29, 2019

I haven't done any, but it's hardly an early electric clock - it's something from the 1990s with a quartz movement that's just a standard wristwatch movement, it seems to me. Beyond me! But surely not beyond someone. I do note the issue about maybe getting difficulty with the hands fitting etc (especially depending on whether and how heavily the movement was modified)

9. Stripey Apr 29, 2019

Just rereading, I should probably clarify, it was new about 20 years ago - it was bought for me as a present from new. I can see how people might have got the idea it was older than that.

10. Evitzee Apr 29, 2019

Like a $40 Swatch watch these are not made to be repairable. Good luck.

11. Stripey Apr 29, 2019

Thanks!