Forums Latest Members

watch industry seems slower than it's ever been

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 2, 2019

new and pre-owned

seems worse than last year at this time and it was slow then as well.

lots of choices, plenty of availability. and like most things, if you're not priced right pre-owned it's going to sit forever.

2. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

Sounds good to me!!

3. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 2, 2019

Depends on what you’re looking for. I am in the market for a good 2998, for months now :whistling:

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

I think this was discussed in another thread- about the summer slump, and that the top end pieces continue to rise and trading is brisk but the lower end pieces are sitting- the divide between upper and lower class in the watch world.

That said, we have 4 houses on my block for sale they have been sitting for months- 3 of them vacant as the sellers already moved out- and this is one of the best neighborhoods in the city. A brisk economy I am not seeing on the ground, only on paper.

M'Bob, nlogax and Walrus like this.
  5. joeshoup Aug 2, 2019

I've noticed this bifurcation too. Sellers are struggling to move a $2k Tudor but that secondhand GMT will fly out the door at $5k over retail. It's like the economy is accelerating that last little bit to the hilltop. Don't think we're looking down the other side just yet but we might be soon. Here in the SF Bay Area where I live there's still people spending crazy money on bad houses... But they're taking a month to sell instead of a day.

6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 3, 2019

overall there's just too much artificial inflation on too many watches that were once secondary better price options.

seems like they're all bumped up in price now, in addition to finding that buyer that was once once easy as well

it's a lot harder to make money on watches now, even if you know your niche

Edited Aug 3, 2019
  7. jaguar11 Aug 3, 2019

Personally I have never tried making money on a watch....

airansun, OmPam60, sdre and 2 others like this.
  8. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 3, 2019

my journey never started like that. it just evolved into it to pursue it more.

i had to buy watches at a certain price point that i liked. i did this so that if i didn't like it anymore i could profit off of it, to buy more or other watches...simple economics so that i didn't have to keep collecting and writing checks. if i dodn't sell i couldn't buy more or more expensive pieces

very rarely did i ever just buy a watch to sell it afterward. it use to be pretty easy if you knew what you were doing, but now many watches are priced out of the range for it. or the margin is just too slim.

sure you can still find some bargains if you look deep enough for them, but they're not plentiful. there's just too many overpriced b type brands, with sellers not budging from their prices.

were really at an overpriced market saturation

Edited Aug 3, 2019
  9. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2019

Just when the skeptics like me start thinking it can’t go any higher and it’s all gonna come tumbling down-it spikes and keeps going. When my 16750 hit the $5k mark, I couldn’t believe it would go any higher- that would just be crazy....I hadn’t even begun to see crazy.

Civic4982 likes this.
  10. S.H. Aug 3, 2019

You just have to be careful with pricing... sub or around 1k watches (vintage, pretty, and serviced thus usable) sell rather well if you are trusted as a seller. Hot items vintage or not sell well even at high price... by definition. All the rest is hard to move ... also by definition; a second hand modern watch is probably worth its real production cost for most (i. e. not much). And I regularly see what I consider vintage pieces of trash selling for good money, even here, so this is not a slow market imho. Big unsold inventory (modern) and millions of items on the market (vintage), and we still manage to spend lots in watches...

11. astrand Aug 3, 2019

I'm surprised how much prices have inflated just in the last 3 years. I've spend much time hunting 1986 speedies and the prices between 2016 and 2019 are quite staggering.

I wonder what has caused this sudden spike

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 3, 2019

The more people that get into a swimming poll the harder it is to swim ;)

The last 10 years has seen this world grow the two posters linked in this post are 37000th members
    I joined in 2013 and am about the 2500th member
    We’re at 50000+ members now

bazamu, OmPam60, bloomy and 3 others like this.
  13. astrand Aug 3, 2019

It was a bad night of sleep that kept me up watching YouTube - eventually leading me to some Skx007 video from the urban gentry channel... I had never cared much about watches before then.. Especially anything over 200$.

I bought my seiko skx and eventually fell in love with omega. I wonder if these watch channels / Instagram has caused the influx in hobbyists.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2019

Just like the planet-too many people.

15. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2019

No doubt that social media has had an influence- more people keen to an interest, the more competition.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 3, 2019

What, we only inhabit about 12% of the actual planet.

Urbanization: 95% Of The World's Population Lives On 10% Of The Land

17. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2019

Grabbed this from the web with first query on “habitable land on the planet”

Since about 30 % of Earth’s surface is land, this means that the total area of land is 0.3 * 515 ≈ 155 million square km, about half of which is habitable for humans. With roughly 7 billion people alive today, we can conclude that there is 0.011 square km habitable land available per person.

And here’s another nugget

During the 20th century, the global population saw its greatest increase in known history, rising from about 1.6 billion in 1900 to over 6 billion in 2000.

18. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2019

I’m not going to research sources or fact check the above which is what I would do if I were having a real debate on the issue- but like watches (back to the thread), there is far more competition for resources than there has been historically.

OmPam60 and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2019

However we are using resources at a rate that is unsustainable. Having "room" for the people is only one part of the equation...

Togri v. 2.0 and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 3, 2019

I was going to mention consumerism ;)

JwRosenthal likes this.