Forums Latest Members
  1. shy06002 Jun 3, 2015

Just wanted to see if anyone here on the forum works within the watch industry. Perhaps you work as a buyer for a AD, sales person at an boutique, operations for Richmond group, marketing for Omega, etc etc. During the recent NYC meetup there were a vast number of different careers ranging from finance to restaurant owners but I'm curious to see if people work specifically with watches.

I have been thinking about looking for careers within the watch industry relative to my current function (Finance/Advertising) so if you guys have any suggestions that would be appreciated!

2. WatchVaultNYC Jun 4, 2015

I like to "watch" the industry..

Poor joke, just wanted to have at least 1 reply to this thread ::popcorn::

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 4, 2015

Move to Switzerland ;)

Mostly collectors I would say with a few watchmakers and tinkerers ( new word that one).

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2015

I would hesitate to say I work "within" the industry, because the industry tends to treat people like me as outsiders, but I guess you could say on some level I work within the industry. All I can say is, making your passion your work (despite advice to do so from all kinds of motivational speakers) certainly has it's drawbacks. When I am finished my work day, one of the last things I want to do is look at or talk about watches. When I used to get my Watchtime magazine, I would read it cover to cover, even every advert. Now I have a large stack of them sitting there, waiting to be read. I would also buy lots of other magazines whenever I found a store that carried them, now I only have the one subscription (not sure why I still keep renewing it to be honest) and I never go looking for other watch mags.

The shine and mystique (if you have any) about watches, brands, Swiss quality, etc. will certainly not be so enticing once you see the "sausage being made" if you get my meaning...

I don't know that there is any specific advice I can give you, other than go to the brands web sites, and look at their job postings.

Or you can follow what I call the "TZ Sycophant Moderator" career path in the watch world. Join TZ, say lots of nice things about a brand, become a forum moderator for that brand, suck up to the people who work for the brand, defend the brand at every opportunity (especially if they are in the wrong), and eventually they will hire you...;)

Cheers, Al

TNTwatch, Giff2577, shy06002 and 6 others like this.
  5. Geo! Jun 4, 2015

I'm astounded at that statement Al given the amount of time and comprehensive input you give to this forum at any time of the day. I sincerely thank you for it too!

gophishin likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 4, 2015

20 years ago I used to take my watches to a watchmaker who was a few years older than I. When I expressed my interest in working on watches, he said, "if you want to kill your passion, make it your livelihood."
    I know he wasn't saying this to protect his interests. His shop closed not long afterward and I lost touch with him.
    A Google-search shows he is now a realtor with "21 plus years in the ...real estate business." Probably a wiser choice as far as livelihoods go.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2015

Not sure why it would be a wiser choice - might be a preferred choice for some though. For me I see real estate as certainly a very up and down business, at least compared to being a watchmaker. I will never, ever, run out of work, so the ability to earn a good living is not in question. Of course there are many things I could do to make more money - I could simply get a job as a project engineer again and make more than I do now easily, but this is also a lifestyle choice. I like working for myself, setting my own hours, and being 100% responsible for my work. That sort of thing is not for everyone.

If you lack passion being a watchmaker or with being a real estate agent, well I guess both could suck equally badly in the passion department. In my experience with real estate agents, they have to be available pretty much any hour of the day or evening. The house I currently own was bought from 2 people who were real estate agents - well one had been for a while, and the other was just getting certified. With the uncertainty of the income coming in for both of them, they had no choice but to sell this house and downsize. And, 7 years after building it, they still owed a ton on this place when they sold it to us...and they were both retirement age to boot! It's not a job I would want personally, but to each his own.

My point is getting into something like watchmaking or the watch business simply because you think it will be all roses and champagne is an unrealistic view. Like any job or career, there are certainly downsides, but given all the jobs I have had in my life (while in school or after I was done) this is the one that gives me the most satisfaction overall by far. Even on the days when it's not fun, its still more fun than cleaning toilets on midnight shift in a mental hospital...something I did during the summers when I was still in high school. At least I didn't have to take a self defense class to become a watchmaker, and so far I've not had to use my training on how to break a choke hold with any of my watch customers. ;)

Cheers, Al

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 4, 2015

Points well taken. As happens from time to time, in re-reading what I wrote, it really wasn't well thought-out. Thank you Al for responding. I honestly appreciate your thoughts, and giving me occasion to "think again!"

9. shy06002 Jun 4, 2015

I have actually heard that a lot of people that use to work as watch salesman move on to sell houses. I mean why not right? If you can sell a luxury watch you can certainly use those attributes to sell a luxury house and make more money doing so.

Seems like the general consensus is the keep your passion strictly a hobby. Although I will say a dream job would be a buyer, who wouldn't want to go to Baselworld and SIHH every year right?

10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 4, 2015

There are finance jobs within the watch industry and being in NYC it shouldn't be too hard.