Forums Latest Members

Watch in Rice, Is there such a thing as TOO dry?

1. trackpad Mar 1, 2017

I purchased a watch that I won't have my hands on for another 2 months :confused: ...and it's resting comfortably stateside at my mom's house in Florida until then.

I asked her to drop it in a bag of rice, because well, Florida. And just thinking to play it safe I guess.

But now the thought crossed my mind – is there such a thing as too dry? Can the viscosity of essential oils be compromised or...the humidity balance that, say, keeps the lume intact, or...who knows.

Just thought I should ask. Same question/concern could apply to silica gel...I know a lot of you have it loaded up close to your watches in cold storage.

2. isaac.owen.nz Mar 1, 2017

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/14/9326035/can-rice-actually-save-your-wet-phone

"So, does the trick work? In 2014, Gazelle.com ran a semi-formal test that indicated it didn’t. Of the seven household desiccants they tested, uncooked rice was the least absorbent, behind cat litter, couscous, oatmeal, and instant rice. Unless you’re willing to spend serious money, leaving your phone on a shelf to air dry, they suggested, may be your best option."

people never seem to listen when i tell them rice doesnt actually absorb water that well, but as the article mentioned, at least it makes you feel like your doing something to help at a stressful time.

ask your mum if she has some kitty litter around?

trackpad likes this.
  3. j.allen Mar 1, 2017

There is the old "trick:" of putting your cell phone in a vat of rice after dropping it in the toilet. Pulling the battery and opening the case to dry would be more effective than this.

I understand your concerns about the humidity in Florida. I don't think this would be too dry. But perhaps a better idea would be sealing it in a small box with a few packets of silica. However, direct contact with water is the real issue, not water vapor in the air.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

Heck man, you see the data. Put it in cat litter.

b-16707, tyrantlizardrex and NT931 like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 1, 2017

Rice works. Its brought several wet I PODS back to life and saved my 321 speedy after I accidentally dunked it. (If course I later had the movement overhauled anyway)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

I have lived in Florida for extended periods of time, (many years).

During that (those) time(s) we availed ourselves with an amazing new technology known as air conditioning.

That combined with central heat that switched on during colder spells, kept the home within humidity levels that were considered ideal and no more extreme that anywhere else in the country.

This is not the 1920's folks

The watch should be fine sitting in a drawer, unless there are books rotting on the shelves.::facepalm2::

7. trackpad Mar 2, 2017

Imaging my great grandparents now in their home on Terra Ceia Island, Florida. The year is 1920 and...the living is room full of rotting books. Based on the stories my dad tells me about the heat and humidity of that place, probably not far from the truth.

You're right. But I think the more interesting question was can a watch be made too dry by surrounding in rice or silica – can this upset the moisture balance or somehow the oil viscosity if left for a long time.

More relevant for watches in long-term storage, packed in silica. But like me it seems no one knows. /paging @Archer

AveConscientia likes this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 2, 2017

I'd imagine the humidity on the moon and in outer space would be practically zero? The speedies seem to have survived fine!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2017

Yes of course, but they were Speedmasters, not ordinary watches.

;)

nonuffinkbloke, Pun, Alpha and 2 others like this.
  10. trackpad Mar 3, 2017

@CanberraOmega Not sure about this one. I think manned capsules are/were climate controlled, so wouldn't be zero humidity. And the time they spent in the vacuum of space was very limited.

But back to earth, I'm talking about prolonged and close proximity to some agent like silica gel that is (I suppose) actively sucking moisture out of the air (?) Not sure if that creates a zero-humidity environment or what it does ...or (to the heart of the question) if what it does could be harmful over a long period of time, and if so, exactly how long a period. :thumbsdown:

Edited Mar 3, 2017
  11. Lukeeesteve Mar 3, 2017

Remember to toss the rice away after that.

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 3, 2017

The apollo 11 crew spent 21hrs on the moon.

13. trackpad Mar 4, 2017

::facepalm1::

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 4, 2017

I live in tropical northern Australia and have had watches sitting on the table ( in the fruit bowl ) in humidity for weeks or months at a time and have never had any issues besides a hit of mouldy off a orange left too long on a strap once.

Will try rice baths if it's as good as you think,

The cat would worry me in a bath of kitty litter........ image.jpeg