Forums Latest Members
  1. scv55 Apr 12, 2015

My grandfather just gave me this Omega. He bought it new back in the 1970's, if I am not mistaking. He wore it for many years, eventually replaced it when he retired. Just want to know some general information about it. I know it is a manual-wound automatic, and that it is made from 14k gold but thats about it. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

IMG_5506.jpg IMG_5507.jpg IMG_5508.jpg IMG_5509.jpg
  2. scv55 Apr 12, 2015

By the way, I wound it up gently and it still runs

3. scv55 Apr 12, 2015

bump..

4. j.allen Apr 12, 2015

If you could have a watchmaker open the case and identify the movement, it may help you find similar watches. The case is solid gold and there is gold in the strap too. I think that this style probably has more value in it's weight in gold than it does it's value to collectors. It's looks to be all original which is good. It looks like the strap may be built in to the case, not that there is necessarily a reason to change it. I personally would never scrap a watch for it's gold.

This is something that I would keep for it's sentimental value. If you are going to wear it I would probably have it looked at and probably serviced by a watchmaker.

noelekal likes this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 12, 2015

Judging by the style and the markings on the case back, I would guess that it is a locally cased movement, as was common back in the 60s/70s. In the UK, it would be a Dennison, but I don't know who it would be in other markets.

6. scv55 Apr 12, 2015

Appreciate the feedback. Would it be pointless to bring the watch to an omega store? Or should I just bring it to a watchmaker. I'm definitely keeping the watch because of its sentimental value. How complicated would it be to put an alligator strap on? Would that ruin the authenticity of the watch?
    Thanks again

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2015

Can't put it on a strap as the bracelet is soldered on, no real point taking it to an Omega AD, they wouldn't know anything about it.

noelekal likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 12, 2015

Ash is right, no strap and no Omega AD or bowteek.

The sentimenatl value is what makes this watch important to you.

Just get it serviced by a trusted watchmaker and enjoy wearing it on special occasions.

9. scv55 Oct 1, 2015

Bump old thread. Still have yet to find another omega like this one. Nobody can tell style/model or even collectible value? Just aching curiosity of mine. Thank you for your help gents!

10. scv55 Oct 1, 2015

I do thoroughly enjoy wearing it out. Have received many compliments to my surprise

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 1, 2015

Couple of photos from the movement inside and the case back and you will be able to tell all (age and model)

Not that collectable..

12. scv55 Oct 1, 2015

Bad idea to open it myself?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 1, 2015

1. You likely won't find another one just like it, although you will find some that are very similar.
    2. It does not have a model name. It was made specifically for the US market. In the 1970's Omega made literally hundreds of different case styles every year. The all had some kind of internal identifier, usually a case reference. However, each country had a different referencing system, all different from the mother ship in Switzerland. Recordkeeping was chaotic.
    3. Collectible value on these is generally limited to the melt value of the case and band (not the weight of the watch), minus a bit for melting costs, plus a bit for the movement if in good condition. Collectors are not really interested in these watches. They are small, out of style and cannot be customized at a reasonable cost.
    4. This watch has a one piece case and opens from the front. Unless you have the proper equipment and know how to use it, you will damage the case and the movement. Best to let a watchmaker handle it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. TNTwatch Oct 1, 2015

Not bad if you can. You need to get it serviced so you can enjoy it for a long time or you'll damage it by "wearing it out".

15. scv55 Oct 1, 2015

Big help Gator and TNT. Appreciate it. Ill just have to bring it to a watchmaker then. I do not know when it was last serviced, but I do constantly wind the watch and keep the movement running. Should i stop running it and get it serviced? If I must service it, would it be better to send it to Omega or is local good enough?

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 1, 2015

Local should be OK, provided they have the necessary experience.

Omega will charge you close to $1,000 for a basic service on a watch like that.
    gatorcpa

17. scv55 Oct 15, 2015

Opened up the watch. What do you guys think?

Personally I am surprised to see such a clean movement, maybe it was replaced? And the black ink on the dial reads '1963' Is this a manufacturing date?

All information is appricaited
    (edit: sorry for the shoddy iPhone pictures)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Oct 15, 2015
  18. novina Oct 15, 2015

By what I see, MR BEYELER GENEVE, inscribed by the movement. I will have to assume that this is who cased this movement. As for the clean movement, seems noraml to me if this was taken care of. I have a Seamaster made in 1960 that shines like a mirror. A quick google search did not bring up much, but there was a closed auction for an Omega Deville Beyeler Geneve. Would seem to lend some credence to this being the case maker. The Omega 625 movement seems to have been made between 1973-1979 according to what I found on Ranfft Watches. So that also gives you a time period in which it could have been made. And I agree with this date as this is a totally 1970s design in my opinion. Others with more knowledge than I will hopefully come along and add more.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2015

Huge in the 70s for car salesmen and realestate agents. Very common for people like yourself to ask on here.
    Service at a decent watchmaker and it will run fine for years to come. If not for you throw it on eBay at no reserve and put what you get to a watch you like.....

20. scv55 Oct 16, 2015

That makes sense. My grandfather was a building contractor in Manhattan for about 25 years, and in the late 70's he had a job at a small jewelry store on Broadway and Wall St. He didn't wear a watch at the time and the jeweler noticed. I was told that the renovation my grandfather did was so impressive the jeweler gave him this watch for free. Unfortunately this was about as close to Wall St. as he ever got :)