Forums Latest Members

Watch ideas for my wife's birthday

1. bencrouch25 Jul 31, 2015

As I've recently purchased several watches for myself and was fortunate to receive a Tudor black bay blue as a wedding gift, I feel that for my wife's birthday in 3 weeks time I should treat her to something nice.

She works ages and would like something silver that matches her wedding and engagement rings.

My initial thought was to get her a Cartier Ronde Solo:

image.jpg
    But spending £1250 on a quartz watch seems crazy.

Around that kind of price, do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. gee_cee Jul 31, 2015

3. bencrouch25 Jul 31, 2015

I'd almost certainly buy pre owned/vintage. As a back up option I'm thinking of giving her my Speedmaster Automatic, If I put it on a nice black leather strap I think she would like it.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2015

Most girls do preference a Quartz for ease of use. Brietling have a few nice ladies models. Stacey comments on the how she loves the bracelet more often than the watch
    image.jpg

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 31, 2015

I like this option. :thumbsup:

And it has the additional benefit of requiring no cash outlay (until of course you buy a replacement for yourself;)).

6. Canuck Jul 31, 2015

A Speedmaster automatic could double as a watch for you when she's not wearing it. Something to consider. Speaking from experience, women wear watches differently than men do! Allow for the Speedmaster (possibly) being run down, frequently! I don't think that women have the same motivation in choosing a watch that men do. Men tend to choose mechanicals because they tend to be techno-freaks. Women, less so. Given a choice, I think most women would choose a style they like, in Quartz!

7. Buck2466 Jul 31, 2015

Since you mentioned the Speedy as an option, my girlfriend really liked the look of my 2254.50 Seamaster 300. I ended up buying her a 2264.50 Quartz, after a conversation about automatic vs. Quartz. She said she didn't want to mess with winding it if she hadn't wore it for awhile. She absolutely loved it and I think a woman wearing a man's watch is ultra sexy. You should be able to pick one up used for the price range you are seeking, maybe a little less.

8. redpcar Jul 31, 2015

Got my wife a Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz from ebay for a couple hundred. Owner got it wet with the crown unscrewed. Easy fix from spare parts.

$_12.jpg

9. NT931 Jul 31, 2015

If she doesn't mind non-round watches, a Cartier tank or a Reverso classique will be nice dress watch options. Both available in SS & quartz.

10. bencrouch25 Jul 31, 2015

Thanks for all of the replies guys, lots to think about. I'm going to have a look to see if there are any decent Tag Aquaracers around as I quite like the look of it. Failing that I think I'll be on the hunt for a nice black leather strap for my speedy auto as that'll be the cheapest option and I'll still be able to wear it ;)

11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 31, 2015

Be careful there Ben! Just because you like the look of something, it may not be even close to what will make your sweetheart swoon. Sure, I'd prefer the Aquaracer style for myself, but is your sweetie an action-sports sort of gal? I really liked the Cartier you posted initially -- and it's got a jewel in the crown! Chicks love jewels. :)

12. bencrouch25 Jul 31, 2015

I hear what you're saying @Jones in LA her engagement ring is a large sapphire with a diamond either side, the Cartier would look great on her wrist. Decisions decisions!

Jones in LA likes this.
  13. SeanO Aug 1, 2015

take her shopping then.... you'll be spending "quality time" with her and you'll get the best idea of what she'd like.

14. Canuck Aug 1, 2015

When I was in retail, I always approached the "what to buy her" dilemma, and " should I take her shopping", this way. There are things in life we often only dream of owning, and that we would never ever buy for ourselves. A special gift should be one of those items we would never buy for ourselves. It usually worked.

15. bencrouch25 Aug 4, 2015

So I decided to follow the advice of @Canuck and @SeanO and took my wife shopping at the weekend to get an idea of what she likes and dislikes before pulling the trigger. After ruling out pretty much everything I showed her, I got out my phone and brought up a picture of the Cartier and it was love at first sight...

I've just ordered one and it arrives tomorrow, I should have one happy wife in a few weeks time when I give her the watch for her Birthday. I'll post a picture when it arrives!

SeanO and Jones in LA like this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 4, 2015

The Cartier is really an attractive watch, and your wife will feel very, very special wearing it. Well done Ben!

17. Optimizer13 Aug 4, 2015

I would suggest going with her so she can try it on! A surprise gift is nice but they're picky so better make sure they like it a lot before spending $$$!

18. bencrouch25 Aug 18, 2015

Today is the day! She loves it, I think it looks great too so I'm really pleased.

image.jpg image.jpg