Forums Latest Members

Watch hunting in Singapore?

1. Greatoldone Jun 1, 2017

Chaps - I'm off to Singapore with the good lady next month to visit the in-laws.

So, trying to put together a list of things to do that doesn't just include 'eat lots of food' as that's a given whenever we go back... and I wondered if there's any particular haunts that a watch collector should visit - "just to look, dear" - nudge nudge wink wink.

Cheers

Jason

watch3s likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2017

No hunting required mate, its like shooting fish in a barrel. Orchard Rd has almost as many watch boutiques as cafes and bars.

I need to get back there some time soon I miss the place a great deal.

3. Xeer Jun 1, 2017

It depends on what kind of watches you're hunting for.

As dsio mentioned, if you are looking for modern watches / boutiques: Orchard Road or Marina Bay Sands is your best bet.

If you happen to be more of a vintage watch aficionado.. consider the following places.

Golden Landmark Shopping Complex - houses the best grey market dealer in Singapore: Chuan Watch with a whole range of other small shops selling pre-owned watches and/or vintage pieces.

Far East Plaza - houses my favorite Singaporean pre-owned dealer WatchLink and many other watch dealers and watchmakers.

Lucky Plaza
    - really good independent Rolex watchmaker that used to work for RSC here. Top Hour it is called. He has a nice collection on display which is NFS. Similarly, whole bunch of other small watch dealers and repair shops.

People's Park Complex
    - gold is the word here, where you find all the bling and of course.. watches.

Also one small bonus for vintage seekers - do visit Shawn @ Heirloom Gallery on 20 Upper Circular Road close to Clarke Quay. It is truly a little gem tucked away in a corner but as Shawn puts it, getting there is half the fun!

p.s. I'm not paid for advertisement. These are just some places I frequent. Cheers and enjoy Singapore!

4. Greatoldone Jun 1, 2017

Ah, Orchard Road... yes. Plenty of boutiques, but I was wondering about pre owned vintage stuff. Lesser known dealers, out of the way shops.

5. Greatoldone Jun 1, 2017

Thanks!

6. Xeer Jun 1, 2017

You are very welcomed Jason. I'm positive there are other small haunts that I might have over-looked.

We have a good population of Singaporeans on OF. Maybe they will chip in :)

7. khmt2 Jun 1, 2017

@Xeer has done a great job listing the key joints. I would add The Bencoolen Building at 180 Bencoolen Street as another place to check out for vintage. Apart from the usual 2nd hand Rollie outfits, Asia timepiece Centre has a decent range of other vintage brands.

Bumper likes this.
  8. propervinyl Jun 1, 2017

Thank you @Greatoldone for starting this thread!

I am headed to Singapore in February and have two questions that might add to the discussion. Is there a pawn shop culture there where it is possible to find hidden gems? Also, is it culturally appropriate to haggle on price?

Thanks!

9. khmt2 Jun 2, 2017

Plenty of pawn shops, but largely commercialized chains and any vintage watches are mostly garden variety Rolex. You've better luck with some of the recommendations above.

Haggling is not frowned upon. :)

Greatoldone and propervinyl like this.
  10. propervinyl Jun 2, 2017

Thanks everyone!!!

11. Greatoldone Jul 7, 2017

Ok, so after visiting one or two of the above mentioned establishments, this happened: :eek:

IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3588.JPG IMG_3589.JPG IMG_3590.JPG IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3593.JPG

Pre owned 2015 114060, full set. I really needed my arm twisting on this one. It took the Wife, my nephew and Nick from Chuan Watch to wrestle me in to submission. Not. :D

This is now *officially* the most expensive holiday I've had. :confused:

The other half, upon leaving the store - "Does this mean the Black Bay is mine then?" :cool:

jB1128, Alpha and SouthernScot like this.
  12. SouthernScot Jul 7, 2017

That's just plain greedy!!
    ::facepalm2::

13. khmt2 Jul 7, 2017

LOL! Congrats on a nice catch! Enjoy your hols here and eat lots of nice food! :)

Greatoldone likes this.
  14. isaac.owen.nz Jul 7, 2017

Ooooh like that.
    Hopefully going through on the way home so will keep an eye out. How did you find prices compared to USA/Europe retail?
    Also would love any local recommendations for a great Singapore laksa stall!

Greatoldone and propervinyl like this.
  15. ekel Jul 7, 2017

isaac.owen.nz likes this.
  16. khmt2 Jul 7, 2017

Another popular option would be 328 Katong Laksa - multiple outlets across the island. Though for the same style, I prefer Marine Parade Laksa at Roxy Square.

17. Greatoldone Jul 7, 2017

Not as good as it used to be as the exchange rate is pants at the moment... but good enough for it still to be a bargain.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 7, 2017

+ 1 for above stayed at the Roxy last visit. Great Vietnamese Pho place a street behind the Roxy also....

isaac.owen.nz, khmt2 and Greatoldone like this.
  19. isaac.owen.nz Jul 8, 2017

Great thanks guys, went with the fiancee couple years ago and didn't make it to stay at Marina Bay sands. Now have a friend who is a chiropractor there so a good excuse to go back.
    Laksa probably an easier sell than a new watch me thinks haha

20. joeabroad Jul 8, 2017

Along these lines, are there trustworthy vintage dealers with an online presence?

propervinyl likes this.