Forums Latest Members
  1. joshgibsonbrown Jan 7, 2013

Here's another one for you Omega lovers

My partner's father is turning 60 in April and I'm looking for a vintage Omega for him. My budget is about US$350. I know, a pittance but I'm no millionaire :)

His style is quite 'bling-bling.' His other watches include a Cartier, a Breitling, a solid gold Rolex Submariner (yeeesh) and one or two others.

So, yah, it's a daunting task! Her father has been very good to me and I would really appreciate some help identifying some entry level Omega options that might be attractive and tasteful and still fit my embarrassing budget.

As always, thanks in advance.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Mmm, I think you're gonna need a bigger wallet. :unsure:

3. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

I was selling a nice entry level Genève a while back..in WUS. Would of been purr-fick!

4. joshgibsonbrown Jan 7, 2013

He's actually a pretty tasteful guy, and I think he would be happy with anything I got him but it would help me to have a few options to hunt for. I'll look for a few Geneve options. I like the one with the sub-seconds dial.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 7, 2013

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

The middle one in this lot of three should do it for you. It's slighly below your budget and has some patina on the dial, or as we like to call it, character.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/3-vintage-omegas-for-sale.2636/

A proper crown can be sourced for under $50, if you want one. The one that is there is not bad.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2013

8. alam Jan 7, 2013

Not sure if you'll be able to simultaneoulsy satisfy these two constraints. :D

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

10. chiko7734 Jan 7, 2013

IMO, I think you should pick another type of present to buy. My thoughts are that for almost any gift, $350 is very generous. But when your buying a watch for someone who already has several watches in the 10k and up range, they're not going to wear a 350 watch you buy them and it might almost be a burden because he will feel obliged to wear it when your around him when he really wants to be wearing one of his other watches. This is not meant in offense, I just think that for 350 you could get him some other great gifts that he will love.

Trev likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2013

This is a great point. A man who has watches like he does probably would enjoy other fine products. $350 buys a damn nice pair of shoes, some killer sunglasses, etc. Why don't you find out where he likes to shop and either get him a gift card or somehow get a hint of what he's been eyeing for himself.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Another point is that someday he may want to buy you a really nice watch and that point you will both be embarrassed.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Yea personally as a watch collector I really wouldn't want any family member or relative buying me a watch, I just wouldn't want the obligation of having to wear something I didn't personally want myself. Its different when you're buying a first good watch for a person that doesn't have any good watches but when its someone that's already a collector, best leave it alone IMO.

Trev likes this.
  14. chiko7734 Jan 7, 2013

This!

As an extension of my other post. My mom bought me a quartz bulova when I got into watches. I didn't really like it, but of course I had to wear it because I didn't want her to be offended!

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Agree fully with the above few posts.

Let the record show that on January 7, 2013, we officially discouraged the purchase of a legitimate watch. ::screwloose::

16. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2013

Holy shit! I'm going to mark the calendar with a Scarlet letter A.

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 7, 2013

One of my rules in watch collecting is to never buy a watch for a watch nut. I will only get a watch for someone who sees a watch as a necessity. Your FIL seems to like the bling and the watch that you are getting may not be bling enough for him. You don't want to get points deducted on his scorecard.:D

18. SeanO Jan 7, 2013

get an automatic winder for his Rolex and a couple of really nice straps

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 7, 2013

good idea!

20. Wheels Jan 7, 2013

I have several watches in my watch box that, given the opportunity, I would flip. Problem is, other people bought them for me so I'm obliged to keep them and wear them from time to time. I would rather they had gifted me something else, or indeed, gave me the cash to put towards the watch I really wanted. Yep, seems like I'm an ungrateful SOB but that's just the way it is.