Forums Latest Members

Watch Evidence in Manafort Trial

1. kippyk Aug 7, 2018

The Paul Manafort trial is going on, and I was intrigued by the mention that he spent $21,000 on a watch. You can tell a lot about a man by the watch he wears. This guy is as shifty as they come (3 passports, 8 burner phones, 55 secret bank accounts, pays with bank transfers from Cyprus, war criminal clients, etc.), but can he have good taste in watches? Answer=No..quartz watch to boot. Bijan black titanium "Royal Way" wristwatch. Dollar for dollar, is this the worst watch purchase in history?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OWa likes this.
  2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 7, 2018

Looks like a $21 dollar watch from a mall kiosk. Horrible.

Kmart, TeddyB, ptfly and 4 others like this.
  3. alam Aug 7, 2018

is that a Russian made watch? :cool:

Rumar89 and Syrte like this.
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 7, 2018

Iranian

Let us see, cost $2.34 to make this watch....$21,000 9000% mark up

I have changed my mind, it is Ok if he goes to jail for 305 years.

Pun, Cadillac and MaiLollo like this.
  5. SaltWaterNTarmac Aug 7, 2018

6. sjg22 Aug 7, 2018

Wow. That is awful if you got it for free.... the box and packaging isn’t even that nice.

propervinyl likes this.
  7. Wallardy Aug 7, 2018

I think we found a new submission for the fashion victim thread...

The man also has a $48k lizard coat though from the same store, so it’s not like it’s surprising that his watch would be hideous too.

ptfly likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 7, 2018

Then the question becomes: are they a front for something else?

9. Rman Aug 7, 2018

That Bijan is a real dog.

E00DE009-287C-4E2B-B6ED-3FD524E29BAE.jpeg

BenBagbag and Syrte like this.
  10. Sweli Aug 7, 2018

Bijan (the father who originally own the store) also has a connection to the auto world (Lambos, if I remember correctly). And, why yes, they are all available in his signature color" Bijan Yellow".

11. SaltWaterNTarmac Aug 7, 2018

Ya I assume just a really rich family who wants to "play" in the fashion and automotive world. Not likely a front but certainly not to be respected for their companies.

12. Wallardy Aug 7, 2018

Could be two things. First, they bill themselves as the "most expensive store in the world." There are some guys that just like to be part of that club and spend the most on something to say they did so, regardless of whether it's horrible crap or not. They also make only "one or two" of every piece, so people can think that they are buying something unique and unattainable by others. Being the only person in the universe that is able to buy and own something is like crack to a rich narcissist.

Or, it could also be a way for their clients to launder money. Less likely though than these guys just being gross overpayers of clothing.

Full disclosure: my job involves federal criminal law. You probably would not be at all surprised to learn that high end watches and expensive clothing are often purchased by those who are obtaining their money through some kind of embezzlement. There are various reasons for this, some psychological, some more related to the fraud. Watches in particular are a good vehicle for money laundering, but it's a pretty low level form of it.

Not saying that any of this is going on in this case, but it happens. What I do know is that anyone who had some kind of connection with Manafort regarding large sums of money is going to have the feds snooping into their business now, so if they are a front for something we should find out in the near future.

noelekal, Kmart, propervinyl and 4 others like this.
  13. wkimmd Aug 7, 2018

I agree - when I first heard about the case - the first thing my mind went to was money laundering at worse, or tax evasion at best...

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 7, 2018

But... is the lume original?

15. BenBagbag Aug 7, 2018

I've been outside the store as they won't let me in :(. I think they have a Bugatti parked outside indefinitely in his signature yellow. Didn't look tacky from outside from what I remember.

I wonder what this kind of press will do for the business? Any press is good press or is there a point at which its just bad press...

16. alam Aug 7, 2018

oh crap! there goes the Russian collusion theory! :D

17. rcs914 Aug 7, 2018

What gets me is the lack of quality in the piece as well. Sure it's pretty awful looking (much like those Zenith watches from 10 years ago), but look at that terrible gap between the end link and the case. It's just atrocious in every conceivable way. Spending $20K on this watch is a crime.

18. repoman Aug 7, 2018

I'd like to think this Manafort character (I have no political axe to grind in any direction) was buying these horrendous watches and coats as a part of the laundering/tax-evasion scheme he was running, but it seems abundantly clear he is just a tasteless douchebag that overpaid for garbage.

Kmart, gatorcpa, texasmade and 4 others like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2018

Those two things are not mutually exclusive by any means...

shishy, Kmart, propervinyl and 5 others like this.
  20. Dgercp Aug 7, 2018

Well, in prison he can trade it for a pack of Malrboro's.

ptfly likes this.