Forums Latest Members
  1. itsbeeroclock Dec 17, 2013

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

I have had 27ch C12 for about 5 years, it consists of the movement and the case, but it was missing the dial. I've been looking for a suitable dial for years. I recently bough this one (see photo). I'm sure it's an appropriate 27ch dial. I have most of the 27ch movement and a 2277-1 case.

The problem is the dial has a diameter of 31mm. It needs to be at least 30mm to fit the case.

Is it ethically OK, to modify the dial to fit the case, even though this style of dial probably was never used in this case reference.

DSC00132.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2013

Ethical? As long as you don't try to pass it off as original it's okay. Probably preferable to look for another case to modify instead of the original.

3. itsbeeroclock Dec 17, 2013

Ethical. That's the problem. There aren't many cases or dials available for 40's Omega chronographs. The watch is intended for my permanent collection. What happens to it, or how it's portraited after I'm gone, I'm not sure.

4. dragoman Dec 17, 2013

I agree with ulackfocus. Personally, I don't have any problems with marriage watches, as long as I am made aware of the fact that they are marriage watches.

But... there is always a strange feeling when thinking in making one of those marriages myself. For example, I have several 431 ultra-chrons, and, of course, the ones I like more are the ones whose movement is in worse condition. It should be a no-brainer to go to my watchmaker and tell him to change the movements. But then the voices start shouting "franken, franken!!!" and I end up confusing ethics with common sense.