Forums Latest Members

Watch dial good, movement good, case unpolished. HOWEVER........

1. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

However, one of the dial feet has come off as you guys know from other threads. LOL.

The movement is attached to the dial with one foot and the sticky pad. If we take the solder a new foot on the dial out of the equation I have a question to ask.....

IS MY WATCH NO LONGER COLLECTABLE?

Just as well as I like it will still keep it as it still works.

2. the future Sep 21, 2015

Please don't take this badly, but it's as collectable as it ever was. It's not exactly a highly sought after reference, it just a nice standard Omega dress watch. Basically, don't worry about it!

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

Yes it is rather basic. Thank good it was not a 321 cal Speedmaster. Out of interest if that happened to a highly collectable watch like the 321 cal speedy...

Would it still be collectable?

I bit of a knob like question but I have only been on here for about 9 months, so I am still learning and still a knob. LOL

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2015

It is no longer as collectible as it would be if it were fully original.

The same would be true of any modification, for example an incorrect replacement crown, or redial, etc.
    gatorcpa

PatrickJ likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2015

Reattaching a dial foot isn't a major deal if (a) it's done correctly and (b) it doesn't damage the finish on the dial.

PatrickJ likes this.
  6. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

So even the foot being repaired and not being the original foot dial makes it less collectable? But surely this is not in the same league as a redial. The paint on the dial front is original.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 21, 2015

Any alteration will have an impact on value since it's been changed from the original state. The amount however would probably depend on the buyer and the piece.

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

Thanks.

9. Mothra Sep 21, 2015

I sold a decent condition 751 c shape constellation on ebay about a year ago and disclosed it was using dial spots rather than dial feet. I'm pretty sure with hindsight I would have got more selling the movement on its own and wish id kept it for parts.... Sorry...

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 21, 2015

This is what I find mildly insane. Some versions of "routine service" would routinely replace the mainspring. How could that possibly be "less collectible"? Sometimes I think collectors make up rules to make themselves happy.

You know what I do? I take stuff that is "new in package" and open the package to use the thing! So evil am I...

Ah well. :)

Tom

11. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

Was the watch in working order? Could you still enjoy it? In the last part of the thread you said sorry, not sure what you are trying to say on your reply here.

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 21, 2015

That's why I said it depends on the collector and piece. :)

I have no problems with necessary replaced mechanical parts but fixing a dial is a little different IMO.

Archer, PatrickJ and wsfarrell like this.
  13. PatrickJ Sep 21, 2015

Perhaps this all means different things to different people. We enjoy what we like, whatever condition it is in and people will then pay what they want and the owner can decide to sell for what he wants at the correct time. I have seen watches that have a huge amount of patina on, to some this is art to others it is junk, it is all oinion. Of course a perfect example will attract a higher premium. Even classic cars need parts specially made for them when original parts are not there or not practicle to find. So if this is the case I am sure you would not flip or sell the car.

14. PatrickJ Sep 22, 2015

So the dial is original meaning not repainted but the back of the dial that holds the movement has a foot missing is it better to fix the foot or keep it original? The watch is still usable one foot remains and the movement is held by a sticky pad, is it better to keep it like this? If by a miracle one day I may come across the same original dial for omega geneve 166.070 it could be replaced.

15. Mothra Sep 22, 2015

I had two, sold the one in lesser condition but was very disappointed with the price it realised. Like you, I'd bought it unaware of the issue and couldn't sell it undisclosed; I was expressing my regret that you may find yourself in the same position when you sell!

16. PatrickJ Sep 22, 2015

Looking back would it not of been better to keep it and enjoy it, rather than selling it? Was it still usable?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2015

Everyone has their own preferences - not sure why you have such a big problem with that. Can we not just agree to disagree instead of you trying to make people with different preferences sound like lunatics at every chance?

You mention replacing mainsprings, and yes it's my policy to replace the mainspring in every watch I service. The mainspring is the engine of the watch and although a lot of focus is given to the balance and balance spring in watchmaking (tweaking and adjusting for performance), if you don't have a smooth and even flow of power from the mainspring, all the tweaking at the balance will not help you obtain good timing results.

In the US pocket watch collector world, there is a segment of collectors who insist on not replacing the old blued steel mainsprings unless the one inside is broken. If it is broken, they want a vintage blued steel mainspring inside. Of course a newer white alloy spring would be a much better choice, and unlike a blued spring that is 50+ years old and could break at any time, the white alloy spring will last for a very long time and give much better performance. But people want what they want...I don't feel the need to belittle them or convince them to do something the way I would want it done, I just let them take their watches to a different watchmaker...

Cheers, Al

Giff2577, gatorcpa, kyle L and 2 others like this.
  18. PatrickJ Sep 22, 2015

Well at least for insurance purposes I will take the watch I purchased from Ebay (Omega, Geneve) and the other one from our very own Kyle (my second Seamaster) to an independent watch jeweler that sells vintage Omega. Austin Kaye in London the Strand springs to mind, unless anyone on the forum has suggestions for another valuer jeweler in the London area. My first Seamaster purchased from Austin Kaye has a receipt from last March so that is OK. Insurance companies force you to replace the watch at a reputable jeweler so to get it all original dial, movement less polish as possible it will cost at least double the Ebay or private sale Omega forum amount. They do not pay you cash so you can purchase private they want to pay the jeweler direct, in their mind it eliminates fraud.

From a collectors point of view it is all different and we all respect each others opinions and rules that exist be it what ever source they are from.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2015

You are absolutely correct. If you never want to sell, then you can make up even more rules to suit yourself.

However, if you would like to liquidate your collection one day, it would be wise to listen when the market speaks.

And it says that original is best.
    gatorcpa

PatrickJ likes this.
  20. PatrickJ Sep 22, 2015

I like the above. If you like what you like you make the rules. If you ever want to sell that is a different story. The better condition and originality gets you more money.