Forums Latest Members

Watch Collections Before & After

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 30, 2016

Speaking for myself I find it very hard to sell or trade a watch that I have done a lot of work on. And had to hunt parts or other watches to make one complete.

This Seiko is an example as found the watch was in need of some TLC. All original with the exception of the sweep hand. Someone installed that sweep hand because the pinion on the fourth wheel had the tip broke off and it was short. The correct sweep hand would not fit do to the tube on the hand was short.

The hands are re lumed to match the new sweep hand. Indices are left intact just a little cleaning of the lume

So someone decided to install a sweep hand with a longer tube. I had to hunt down a new fourth wheel. "Lucky find". I had a new sweep hand and shortly after the purchase of the 6217 I located another bezel.
    I LOVE when a plan comes together.

Before and after pictures the 6217 is on my wrist today

aamas.jpg asl1.jpg
    Edited Jun 30, 2016
    ahartfie, rmurphy37, novina and 5 others like this.
  2. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jun 30, 2016

Awesome result! She is a stunner!:thumbsup:

voere likes this.
  3. lillatroll Jun 30, 2016

Firstly, what a great looking watch you have there. Its a bit of a condundrum as to how many parts can be replaced before it becomes a different watch. Personally I think I could not buy a watch that needed so much cosmetic work doing to it as yours unless it was very hard to find a clean example and rebuilding it with replacement parts was the only reasonable option. I am not sure where the line would be drawn for me, perhaps a new strap and crystal. The most important thing though is that you enjoy wearing it.

voere likes this.
  4. Canuck Jun 30, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg I don't have a before picture of my date at 6:00 Seamaster. But I can tell you where it came from. My late father was a watchmaker. He passed away 40 years ago almost to the day. I inherited all his stuff. Amongst mounds of stuff he accumulated over 56 years in the business, I found the pictured cough drop box with an Omega label on it. Over the decades, I had never checked to see what was in that box, until a member of the watch repair fraternity asked me if I might have a center wheel for an 0mega bumper automatic. I did. While I was ferreting around in the box, I found the dial that you see on my Seamaster. Later, I went through the box thoroughly, and I found the rest of the watch amongst all of these parts, but it was all in pieces! It was all there except for a case.

I gathered all the parts, cleaned some minor rust off the calendar parts, and assembled it, just to keep it all together. A member of the OMB helped me with a NOS case for it, and, voila! One of my favourite Omegas.

image.jpeg
    GregH, ahartfie and voere like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 30, 2016

Vintage Seikos Collectors have different expectations then other watch collectors, this is considered a 100% correct thing to do in the Seiko world. There are various reasons, but it comes down to the general condition of the used watches either beat up or mint very little in between, cheap donor watches, and somewhat easy to source spare parts even for less common models. Plus many hobbyists do their own work on Seiko's due to them being slightly more simple and forgiving to work on. You completely mess up a 7s26 or its older brothers and your out at most less then 150 for a complete new movement, vs how much for a vintage Omega or Rolex?

@voere ... Stunning watch and work! This watch would make a great avatar. ;)

Edited Jun 30, 2016
    watchknut, lillatroll and voere like this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 30, 2016

I have a Omega project watch in the works a 354 bumper. In this picture it's the watch on the left. The watch on the right has the donor dial. The one on the left has a very cheesy redial. The watch is at the watchmaker for overhaul I will post a picture when I get the watch back in hand

fred.jpg
  7. RCAFBuster Jun 30, 2016

What a lovely resurrection! I really like the look of the 6217.
    Cheers,
    Buster

voere and Foo2rama like this.