Forums Latest Members

Watch collecting a minor dilemma or perk?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2016

Since most of us are collectors of watches on various levels. When we have multiple watches to choose from in our collections. For myself it can be very hard to limit myself to a daily wear watch, dress watch and sport watch. I change watches all the time.
    I am going to try to go back to basics and wear one watch for daily wear. One for dress wear, And one sports watch... Long gone are the days I only wore one watch. I will see how long I can go with limiting my watch needs to three watches. Plus I will try to keep it with wearing three vintage watches.

Any thoughts?

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 31, 2016

What's your deal with limits? Have you sought help with this?

ahartfie, gemini4, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2016

Just going to try to keep it simple

4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 31, 2016

I've found the sweet spot for me is a rotation of three types:-

Sporty - 2255.80
    Sunny Blue.jpg
    Quirky - Magrette Dual Time
    Magrette-Dual-Time-003.jpg
    Chrono - TR 378.0885
    Titane on wood.jpg

They tend to get worn in a ratio of 3 days, 3 days, 1 day per week.

The subcategories that affect me are:-

Dress - vintage Rolex 1003 - worn as required
    Rolex.jpg

Then beaters/holiday watches/worn on a whim including Orient Blue Mako, Seiko 5 SNK805K2, etc.

As I like some of the quirkier watch designs, the next purchase will probably be either a 24hr watch or a single-hander. Then again, I'm not a hardcore collector and don't like being faced with too many choices of what to wear on a daily basis. Your mileage may vary ;)

*Edit* - posts with pictures are always better :cool:

Edited Aug 31, 2016
    ahartfie and voere like this.
  5. RegF Aug 31, 2016

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

So, you won't wear more than one of a dress watch or a sports watch daily?

Well That's fine I guess, unless you have a double strap deal like @Mad Dog

So each day you cooose from your collection on a daily basis, whether its going to be a sports watch day or a dress watch day?

Seems reasonable unless you have say, a formal dinnner planned after wearing a sports watch for the day.

Do you put your schedule out if that happens?

I can see how alternating from one day to the next might help even out the wear, but I'm not such a big fan of these self-imposed rules for an arbitrary reason.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 31, 2016

Are you trying to cut back on buying? In which case "shop" your collection and don't sweat it. Enjoy what you have.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 31, 2016

There are no rules here mate - just do what makes you happy. If that's wearing one watch for a day or longer, then fine. If that means wearing 10 watches in one day, that's fine too. The watch police are not coming for you in either scenario...

Cheers, Al

wristpirate, ahartfie and Darlinboy like this.
  8. Clibka Aug 31, 2016

One watch to rule them all!! See if you can get it down to one for all occasions? Then we can talk ... I don't have time for the complication that three watches brings :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. meganfox17 Aug 31, 2016

When One Just Isn't Enough....[​IMG]

10. westmtn Aug 31, 2016

Let me guess? A speedmaster?

11. Clibka Aug 31, 2016

Negative ... [​IMG]

Just stirring the pot :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meganfox17, westmtn and pcdubc like this.
  12. pcdubc Aug 31, 2016

For myself, as a rule of thumb, I shouldn't own things that I don't wear. So as soon as I find a watch falling out of rotation, I sell. Then I use those funds to try something else.

For me, three watches totaling X dollars trumps 10 watches totaling X dollars. But that's just me.

13. westmtn Aug 31, 2016

I tend to agree, but it goes like this. I buy watch A and love it. I buy watch B and love it more. I buy watch C and love it more than both A and B. I sell watch A. Expensive is not always better. New is not always better. I don't consider myself a collector so if I don't love it I sell it. Simple as that.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2016

I was going to say close. Then I realized that making Submariner snobs jealous offsets the thickness issue for dress wear.

15. toomann Aug 31, 2016

I just can't do it. I buy watches because I like wearing them not to sit in a case. Great if it works for you but I wouldn't do it.

Larry S likes this.