Forums Latest Members
  1. patin1729 May 26, 2014

Any recommendations on a watch cleaning system for both steel and titanium watch bands? Looking for a unit that I can use at home instead of taking them to the jeweler.

Thanks

2. alam May 26, 2014

An old, soft toothbrush, mild detergent and warm water does the trick for me... and with decent results.

3. patin1729 May 26, 2014

Thanks. I use that already. It does work well, but nothing like when you go to the store and they clean it. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with a steam unit for watches.

4. woodwkr2 May 26, 2014

Do you mean ultrasonics? Unless you're cleaning gemstones and rings, you probably don't want/need a steam unit.

I recently got a heated L&R ultrasonic unit, there's nothing like 'em. But you can get decent results with the cheapo $30 plastic versions as well. Keeping your bracelets clean will keep them tight for much longer. If your watch has been pressure tested, it shouldn't have a problem, but even so, look out for the little semi-circle plastic inserts; you can keep the watch up out of the liquid, while the bracelet dangles down and gets a good clean.

5. ulackfocus May 26, 2014

My favorite watch cleaner is also my watch maker.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 26, 2014

I just stick my stainless beater bracelets in the dishwasher, on the top rack of course.

Sometimes they come out smelling like lemons.

7. Baco Noir May 26, 2014

I use Verat (sp?) watch cleaner and a soft brush occasionally for cleaning. Seems to do a bit better than soap and water. More luster and less spotting.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2014

An ultrasonic tank works well - I use mine without the heat (gets hot enough without the heater on) and I use diluted Mr. Clean in the tank. Just washing with a toothbrush and dish soap won't remove all the contaminants in a bracelet - trust me I put bracelets in the ultrasonic tank that look clean, but then they shed a bunch of "stuff" in the tank.

A steam unit can be useful, but it's probably overkill. I have considered getting one because even the ultrasonic has trouble getting compound off the metal sometimes, so the steam unit would certainly help with that. But for home use, the ultrasonic tank would be far more useful than steam.

Of course, only the bracelet goes into the tank, unless you are removing the movement from the case. Even then not all cases go in - depends on the construction.

Cheers, Al

patin1729 likes this.
  9. Nick F 05 May 27, 2014

Verat