Forums Latest Members

Watch Choices In Relation To Profession

1. mementomori1983 Jun 5, 2013

I've had this burning topic in my head for a while and I wanted to get the opinions of the respective members of this forum. :)

I'm a public service professional for a large local government organization in California. As a manager in a public service entity, my job requires a lot of interaction with staff and, occasionally, with applicants for public welfare programs. As such, I tend to be very careful as to how I project my personal appearance. I tend to dress professionally, but not too overboard as to call attention to what could be perceived as displays of 'luxury'.

I've discovered the watch hobby recently, and this has put me in a dilemma. I really want to get a Rolex Sub, which I feel I could proudly wear for the rest of my life, but I'm concerned about the negative stigma that might be attached to wearing such a watch. So for now, I stick to understated and slim vintage watches that don't call too much attention.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever had your profession dictate your choice on watches?

Discuss! ::psy::

2. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

Buy another brand instead of Rolex. No normal person knows many names other than Rolex or maybe TAG as an expensive luxury watch. Snag a cool JLC Master series, a VC Overseas, an AP Royal Oak (can't believe I just recommended that), or any of a myriad of other watches that will not only fly under the radar but be more upscale than Rolex.

"Rolex - the watch you always wanted before you really knew about watches." :D

3. porschefan Jun 5, 2013

If you like a Rolex, buy it, and ignore the haters here! :)
    More than likely, you wear long sleeves at work, and if you wore the Sub, it will slide under a cuff easily. Put it on a croc or nice leather strap to help tone it down as well, if it is a concern.

Spy likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

Oh, stop! :p I respect the manufacturer and admire the marketing machine. Just can't take the way the public perceives the name as if the sun rises and sets according to Rolex.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 5, 2013

Respectable Member mementomori1983

Since you want to keep a low-profile, it is suggested you buy a desirable and an uncommon vintage-watch that will keep its value, come rain come shine. It has to be a watch, not many people will be able to determine its price and status. Only you and maybe a few others (enthusiasts/collectors) will know, how precious and highly desirable it is.

If I have the means, I would buy an Ingenieur IWC vintage, just like this one, as an example.

Photo: Credit shear-time

Thank-you.
    IWC Ingenieur vintage.JPG

mementomori1983 likes this.
  6. porschefan Jun 5, 2013

Stop, Dennis! :whipped:

Hehe

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2013

Not in here. Interestingly Rolex is the most faked watch, and they have reach scary level of resemblance. Datejust, Daytona, Submariner and Explorer are the most common. If I go to a mall and make observation almost 20% people from all occupation wear them.So people wouldn't be so impressed if you wear Rolex.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2013

+1. IWC is probably best understated watch around.

9. porschefan Jun 5, 2013

Agreed. I've had a handfull of comments all of the years I've collected; when wearing any of my watches... from IWC, to Rolex, to Breitling... all the way down to my Seiko beater. I think most people just really don't care or notice what someone else is wearing. Except for us horological geeks, that is.

Actually, I've been wearing my GMT on a cordura strap, and liking it enough that I 've ordered a black one, too.

[​IMG]

10. mementomori1983 Jun 5, 2013

I'd love a Sub for a number of things, but its really the timeless design that calls out to me. I love the idea that it will probably look as good 30-40 years from now as it would today. The reliability, resale value, and prestige factor are all pretty good gravy too. I have a feeling that if I plunk down $3-4k on a used Cal 3130 Sub it would cure my watch-flipping and keep me happy for a very very long time. :D

But I do have a feeling that I'd get some hate if someone realized I was wearing a Rolex in my work setting. You'd either be labeled as insensitive or fake (if they thought your Rolex was fake, lol). Loss-loss situation. Its a shame Rolex has the rep it has among the masses. :thumbsdown:

11. porschefan Jun 6, 2013

Tell them it was inherited. If someone can't accept what someone else has... Sorry, not too PC.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2013

I quite like my vintage 1680 Submariner but its faded bezel makes it look less like an expensive watch and more like a handed down family heirloom. That's one of the really nice things about vintage, it doesn't attract negative attention.

13. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

A friend of mine does a similar job in the UK for a London local authority and he swears by his 9 year old Rolex GMT which he sourced secondhand from www.watchfinder.co.uk and he says one or two people have commented but otherwise everyone is too busy to have noticed. I myself have never bought a secondhand watch so have no experience if it's a good thing to do or not.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 6, 2013

Personally, I wear whatever watch I feel like wearing. If other people have a problem with that, it's their problem. It is the same with driving to a meeting - if they don't like what I'm driving then fcuk them.

Spy, porschefan and SpikiSpikester like this.
  15. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

I'm laughing as I write this.

Spy likes this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2013

If you work with criminals, believe me, they notice. With my sub, when asked the ubiquitous, Hey is that a Rolex?, I would reply, no it's wrist watch, or when asked about cost that it was a gift.

17. porschefan Jun 6, 2013

Exactly what I was getting at, too. There have always been those with more or less, but now it's more "correct" to not enjoy what you want, because someone else can't, it seems.

Mr. 'mori1983, it seems you're trying to talk yourself out of buying it. As someone who recently made a "luxery" purchase, don't talk yourself out of it. Enjoy what you can, life is short.

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 6, 2013

I'm 51 years old and pre-date political correctness. I have been there, done that and earned the right not to give a sh!t. If you are younger and got there - fair play to you. If you are the same age or older and got there - fair play to you. If you want to get there - one day it will come. Just accept that everyone is an individual and what matters to some means nothing to others. At the end of the day, you are you are and what you think and do defines you, not what others think about you.

Spy likes this.
  19. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

I have a £40 Luch Regulator, up graded the strap with one that cost £15 and wore it to a private view at a London art gallery, counted several amazing watches worn. I got 'like that, never seen a watch like that and where did you get it? The answer - Minsk. Wear what you want and I'm 55, also predate political correctness.

image.jpg

20. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2013

Dude, you are now an honorary Joizey resident. :thumbsup: (or should I have used :eek:)

At 47, I predate the PC police too - and take great pride in calling it like I see it without regard to offending some new age delicate sensibilities.

Hey, we need a "flipping the bird" smiley. :D

Spy likes this.