Forums Latest Members
  1. DManzaluni May 10, 2017

I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Case-Opener-For-Snap-On-Backs-Black-In-Color-/292112259968?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I lost my watch knife and bought an el-cheapo chinese one in a tool set. Only to find that it is so thick that it wont insert between the watch back and the case. So I went back to using a razor blade while I try to find a high quality one.

But this tool looks interesting so long as it isnt too thick? The angles on the blade part do look a bit suspiciously like the blade on my chinese opener?

2. Davidt May 10, 2017

I just use a new razor or Stanley knife blade.

3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2017

LOOKS COOL...
    I have collected over the years a few different knifes for this type of work.

The best one I found 20 years ago while i was working overseas at 3M Paris... it was used as a papercutter for the fax machine .... ( old school thermal paper... ). I took it home with me and still have it to this day !@!

But the tool looks cool on ebay..

I also use a Stanley 10-049 Pocket Knife .

But these are very sharp tools and if your not careful you can slice your hand or finger open !!

just a thought

Bill

4. DManzaluni May 10, 2017

That was exactly why this cool looking implement caught my eye! No fumbling involved, no inordinate pressure, nothing to drop or cut.

If the blade is thin enough & it works.

5. wsfarrell May 10, 2017

Those cheap spring-loaded openers are horrible, and have great potential for damaging the watch. Much better is something like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, and best of all is a tool like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network + a lot of practice on inexpensive watches.

6. Pvt-Public May 10, 2017

chisel.jpg blacksmith.jpg
    Just sayin' ::facepalm1::

7. redpcar May 10, 2017

Here is my snap back kit:
    knives.jpg

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2017

The bandaid is the best part of the kit.

9. alam May 10, 2017

looks impressive! a design fit for a nuclear-powered option!

:D

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 9.24.07 PM.png
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2017

You don't need anything fancy, I use a few small hand tools, including a razor blade for very small gaps to get started, and I have a case knife that I got for free. I'm certainly not against spending good money on tools, but only when it's needed. I would never spend the money on a Bergeon knife or one of the Horotec things (or a cheap copy) - complete waste of money in my opinion. I open most using the tools shown on this page:

http://www.ofrei.com/page555.html

Scroll down to the Seiko push style openers. You don't want to pry on the case back - that will cause damage. You use the tools as a wedge, pushing it into the gap in one spot, then pushing it into the gap around the case back until it pops off. If it doesn't pop off with the tool you are using, switch to a thicker blade and keep wedging it off. Again, don't pry....ever!

BTW not endorsing Otto Frei (I hate buying from them actually) but it was the first link Google offered...you can get these at any watch material supplier.

Cheers, Al

noelekal and Tubber like this.
  11. DManzaluni May 11, 2017

I have never had/tried the push-style opener you suggest. So the edge is ultra-sharp but it works solely by pushing? Like a razor which, when pushed in can open a crack but (because it isn't designed to get case backs off) often not enough to get the back off?

It is interesting that a reputable supply house sells the tool I was originally asking about. Or is that a properly produced $75 black version of the $20 chinese copy?

I certainly agree, there is no need to spend large amounts of money on something basically cheap to produce when a razor will work most of the time. I was just wondering if anyone had found that the $20 device would make the whole process much easier. Because if the blade's angles are right, it seems to solve all the pressure, fumbling, and holding problems.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2017

The proper way to remove a snap on case back is to wedge it off, not pry it off. The thickness of the wedge I start with is dictated by how much of a gap there is. If the gap is too small for one of my push style tools, I try a knife blade first - if that's still to big I go to the razor blade. I only wedge the blades in and use their thickness to open the gap, then move to the next thicker blade - continue until the back comes off. Don't pry...

"Reputable" suppliers are in business to make money - they will sell whatever they can to do so, and since that particular place caters to a lot of hobbyists, it doesn't surprise me that they have these for sale. These aren't tools that professionals use - at least not that I've ever seen.

13. DManzaluni May 24, 2017

I see no one seems to agree with this moderator I just came across at watchrepairtalk?

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 9.45.58 AM.png

14. Vic Mar 13, 2018

Thanks for showing the tool , what does this one cost approx and do you recommend one brand over another ? I was looking at one made by Esslinger