Forums Latest Members
  1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 4, 2016

I fish in salt water with heaps of gear that gets sea spray ,dunked , swamped by waves over the side sometimes and plenty of reels that sit in rod holders with moving perts. Sprayed down with fresh water on light mist while cleaning the boat and never have a problem. Pull reels apart each season and most issues are worn out bearing,s from big fish hardly ever rust from salt water.
    Do wear several dive watches that get a mist clean at the same time no issue.

2. Perseus Mar 8, 2016

Depends, are there any dive rolls involved?

Yes = Take off your watch
    No = You should be doing dive rolls.

3. Longbow Mar 19, 2016

What watch were you wearing?
    A few years ago I had to travel every week twice a week by air. I guess I was up around 30 flights or so. I put my Speedmaster Day/Date in a zipped jacket pocket and so it got scanned like my hand luggage. Shortly after all this travelling the Calendar function just stuck partway through the month transition. Whether that was just coincidence or not I'm not sure, but when Omega serviced it they said it was magnetised. Since then it has run very well, even though I still stick it through the luggage scanner.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

[​IMG]

I'm sure the issues with your watch were not related to the scans. If there was a direct correlation, watch forums would be full of reports of people having problems after a trip.

There are plenty of strong magnets all around us, like in the cover of the iPad I'm typing this on. Saw a tear down of one of these and they found 21 magnets inside it...

Cheers, Al

joe.hammond.58 and sky21 like this.
  5. sky21 Mar 19, 2016

Forget the watch, well almost, that picture just isn't fair!

Archer likes this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 19, 2016

That Hawaii, Al? Kona side of the big island?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

That's Maui, but we did spend time on the Big Island and Oahu as well.

UncleBuck likes this.
  8. TMas Mar 20, 2016

Note to self: don't mess with @ctpete....

9. ctpete Mar 20, 2016

No worries. My shooting buddies would say that you are in no danger unless you happen to be standing in front of the broad side of a barn while I am shooting!

To be technically accurate about the watch while shooting issue, I have been wearing a Seamaster 300 M automatic. I wear it on my left wrist. The pistol is in my right hand usually and supported by the left using a Weaver or Isosceles stance. So generally the watch is not getting as much recoil as if I wore it on the right hand. That said, about 10% of my shooting is using my left hand (for IDPA) so there is some more recoil on the watch. With AR shooting, the watch hand is gripping the hand guard, so there is plenty of recoil felt there.

My only point is that in my case, I have not seen any effect on my watch from this activity.

gostang9 and destroid like this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Mar 21, 2016

Nice! I took the family to Maui in 2008, and for 5 of us it wasn't cheap since we did all the tourist traps (surf lessons, snuba diving, aquarium, road to hanna, luau, etc...)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 21, 2016

larryganz likes this.
  12. hoppes-no9 Mar 23, 2016

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2016

Have you been on the range? Trust me there are ricochets.

14. Jminchoi Mar 23, 2016

I think most watches these days are pretty robust. I would wear the right tool for the job. If I were going to a shooting range I'd wear a gshock, not a patek. I wouldn't dive with my Speedmaster, etc

15. alam Mar 24, 2016

I must confess. I do place my watches in a cup of fresh water after exposing them to seawater - the same technique recommended by Nikon to Nikonos camera users - this kept all my U/W photo gear in top shape and prevented knobs and controls from getting stuck! The bezel on my watches never got stuck either!

16. mokofoko One sad panda Mar 24, 2016

PLEASE tell me you rented a Ferrari 308 GTS while you were there. If you're in Hawaii, go all out.

When I do end up soaking my seamaster in the ocean, it ends up in the shower afterwards. Years later, no problems... no soaking in cups for 10 minutes... Splish splash, all clean.

17. alam Mar 24, 2016

keep the thread below handy, your splish splash method could fail you in the future...:coffee:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/salt-water-bezel-seized-up.7234/

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2016

Sure, rinsing them off is standard advice - you might even find it in the manual for the watch if anyone ever actually bothered to read them. But I can assure you there is no need to soak a watch for 45 minutes after exposure to sea water...::facepalm2::

19. drdang99 Mar 25, 2016

Nice archer, I was there too in December. I visited that omega store, spoke to a kid named Erik I think? Forgot his name but t he was super nice. Nice pictures FB_IMG_1450209182158.jpg

This was at Maui at the hyatt up in Lahaina