Forums Latest Members

Watch Bracelet Pin Remover ??

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 5, 2017

I'm not a bracelet guy, but I've been asked to re-size for others and they look at me funny as I'm beating on their stuff with a pin punch!
    Any suggestions for an inexpensive pin remover?
    Anyone use these cheapies?
    59_138__76785_1477080146_190_220.jpg
    I can't see spending much and I wouldn't bother the forum about such a small matter but you guys always have interesting and unique suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2017

I use a set of pins, a holder for the pins, a watchmakers hammer, and a plastic bracelet vice. People do not look at me funny when I remove or install pins, so it must be you. ;)

But issues of people looking at you funny aside, there is no better tools for this job IMO, so my advice would be to stick to what you are using.

Cheers, Al

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 5, 2017

Thanks, AL, I'm sure it is!
    Maybe I just need to quit letting 'em watch?

noelekal, ewand and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2017

Well it seems letting people watch you "beating on their stuff" :eek: is problematic, but since I only took a couple of psych courses in school I'm not qualified to comment on that aspect of it. ;)

5. wsfarrell Nov 5, 2017

I've tried a couple of those screw devices and they're useless. Hammer is good.

ewand and UncleBuck like this.
  6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 5, 2017

You must be doing something wrong then. Using one is a piece of cake compared to a punch and hammer.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 5, 2017

Which kind Dennis? I see big plastic screw-types and smaller ones like I pictured.
    I can see trying something easy and then going to the hammer if necessary.

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 5, 2017

The one I use is all metal except for the three spacers supplied for different bracelet thicknesses. It also has three different pin sizes.
    Obviously, by design these tools don't push bracelet pins all the way out, you need a pair of pliers to finish the job.
    I must add though that you need really good eyesight to line everything up.

9. arcadelt Nov 5, 2017

I have one similar to the one pictured and it works fine.

10. redpcar Nov 5, 2017

The cheapie "pin presses" are just that. They have one problematic issue compared to a pin and a hammer, as you screw it in, the pin also rotates causing it to walk out of place. Nicer presses are made so that the tip does not rotate.
    The one you have pictured works ok on wide bracelets but average to narrow types, the little doo-dad that screws and unscrews to elevate the bracelet in place gets in the way. Frustrating.
    $.02

UncleBuck likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2017

I replace a lot of pins and sleeves to put it mildly, and I've never thought I needed anything different to do the job than a hammer and pins. Quick (no set-up involved) and gives good feel/feedback. It's what you will find most watchmakers using, not the gadgets.

Cheers, Al

ahsposo and UncleBuck like this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 5, 2017

Thanks, your 2 cents are worth much more!

redpcar likes this.
  13. M.D. Nov 5, 2017

I agree. I use a hammer, pins, and a bracelet holder. Works great! Also, I've had a few bracelets resized at an OB, and I've only ever seen them use hammers and pins.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 10, 2017

5, 4, 3, 2, 1..........